Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: blast from the past  (Read 3412 times)

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
Re: blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 07:14:11 AM »

Thanks for sharing Mark.

I hadn't seen this before. Loved it  :)

Robin Friday

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing Mark.

I hadn't seen this before. Loved it  :)

cheers Captain , it would be nice to have some if not all card associated clippings and press coverage stored in some on-line repository .
I'm sure I haven't seen 5% of paper / TV coverage of the hobby .

Mariner tony

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
I can only nod approvingly at EWT, his thoughts and his obsession. I empathise! Did any of our members know the gentleman or any of the other familiar names in cartophily such as the colonel or Dorothy Bagnall?

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:44 PM »
it would be nice to have some if not all card associated clippings and press coverage stored in some on-line repository .
I've often thought about putting old cartophilic magazines on line but in the end the questions of copyright have stopped me doing it.  There were some indexes to early copies of Cigarette Card World on the old CSGB website but I never posted complete magazines.  Having said that, I would be quite happy to create a repository if someone provides me the appropriate links.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Robin Friday

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »
it would be nice to have some if not all card associated clippings and press coverage stored in some on-line repository .
I've often thought about putting old cartophilic magazines on line but in the end the questions of copyright have stopped me doing it.  There were some indexes to early copies of Cigarette Card World on the old CSGB website but I never posted complete magazines.  Having said that, I would be quite happy to create a repository if someone provides me the appropriate links.

Hi Ian , maybe something that could be considered in 2015 .
In all honesty I've never really bothered about copyrights in any of the snippets or images I've taken from the net . If i can source them on the internet I consider them in the domain but i fully understand your concerns .

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:34 AM »
Thanks for the post Mark - don't get to see articles like that here in Oz, but did acquire the EWT Biography 'Burning Bright'. Apart from owning the largest Cigarette and Trade card collection in the world ever, he was a WW2 spy, DeBeers diamond cartel breaker, significant international mining executive and invited to fly on the Concorde on its last flight as its only frequent flyer guest! He might well have been the subject of many an article in the earlier 'Boys Own' Magazines.
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

Robin Friday

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:46:13 AM »
Thanks for the post Mark - don't get to see articles like that here in Oz, but did acquire the EWT Biography 'Burning Bright'. Apart from owning the largest Cigarette and Trade card collection in the world ever, he was a WW2 spy, DeBeers diamond cartel breaker, significant international mining executive and invited to fly on the Concorde on its last flight as its only frequent flyer guest! He might well have been the subject of many an article in the earlier 'Boys Own' Magazines.

Hi Steve and Hello to all our overseas members ,
Here's some of EWT and the shady side .

For those about to read ....I salute you .

ps ...start at the bottom of the article ...
http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/?s=operation+remorse

http://blog.nationalarchives.gov.uk/blog/tales-special-operations-executive-operation-remorse-part-three/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:49:18 AM by Mark Edwards »

Cedric1812

• Birds, Early USA, Pokemon, UK Tobacco advertising
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
If you look around online you may be able to find a copy of his Autobiography 'Burning Bright' which details his life in great detail including his time in SOE and a great initiative to attempt to unsettle Hitler's leadership - distributing stamps with Himmler's head on them. I do have some clippings at home including a picture of him holding a cigar to his mouth with his T206 Wagner in the same hand! It was from the Telegraph Magazine in Feb 1994 I believe so I'll try and scan one in for the forum to see.

EWT's first ever cigarette card? Ogden's (1905) 'British Birds' - The Corncrake.
Always interested in buying rare bird cards and general reference material (books, magazines etc.)

exdrummer

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 05:32:16 PM »
I didn't know EWT personally, but did go the CSGB convention in Cheltenham and heard him speak at the AGM. As befits someone who was very senior in a large multinational company, he was extremely confident and a great speaker, I felt somewhat in awe of him!
I borrowed his autobiography, Burning Bright, from my library, you can request your library to order books that they do not stock, if there is 1 somewhere in the library system they will get it for you, and fairly quickly too as long as there is no waiting list for it.

Who's online

29 Guests, 0 Users