December 13, 2017, 08:52:45 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: COPES V TADDY V PINNACE  (Read 2333 times)

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
COPES V TADDY V PINNACE
« on: July 15, 2015, 09:49:36 PM »
The 3 named football sets Copes Clips Noted Footballers   Taddy Prominent Footballers and Philips Pinnace Footballers are all very collectable and all have a huge amount of cards to complete the set taking in account price/ condition and scarcity of the cards commonly available  I was just wondering what the football card collectors amongst us would deem to be the hardest set to collect

COPES CLIPS NOTED FOOTBALLERS SERIES OF 500/120/162
this has variations in colour greenish blue frame /bright blue frame with one card Jock Simpson being un numbered
These are getting increasingly hard to find in very good condition due to the colour in the frame of the cards fading badly with time and most probably the condition they were kept stored in

TADDY PROMINENT FOOTBALLERS
1907 Grapnel or Imperial backs with myrtle grove footnote /without 596
1908 Grapnel or Imperial backs with myrtle grove footnote /without 403
1913 London Mixture 409

GODFREY PHILIPS FOTBALLERS PNNACE

I will leave this to the expert Mansfield Terrier for assistance

I personally would be happier trying to get the Copes as over the years may not get them in very good and would have to settle for good condition The Taddy London Mixture set especially would prove to be a very very expensive set to collect For the pinnace if I am just looking at the miniature size cards not the cabinet ones I think if you know what you are looking for it is doable

So I would go 1 Taddy 2 Copes 3 Godfrey Phillips

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
Re: COPES V TADDY V PINNACE
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:00:56 AM »
As you have it in my opinion magpiemick - Taddy, Copes and then Pinnace, for "k" size Pinnace cards anyway! If you wanted to collect Medium or Cabinet Pinnace cards, then it could be just as hard and just as costly!

Taddy cards can be in the higher price bracket depending on who and which team you were looking for. The same with Copes too. The smaller "k" size Pinnace are more affordable, especially if you buy in bulk lots on that auction site or at proper auction houses.

They're not "sets" I'd go for due to the scarcity and expense of Taddy cards, the same with Copes and as for Pinnace, there's nearly 2500 of the little blighters! :)

Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • Huddersfield Town Cards & Stickers
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »
Cheers, Mick! :D
Don't really know if I'm an expert though, but here goes ...

The 'k'-sized Pinnace cards are very easy and cheap to collect to start off with. You can pick them up in lots of ten or so at a time for a few quid and can have a good sized collection for less than the price of a couple of high quality rarer cards from other sets. However ... it soon becomes far more difficult!

If you visit my website HERE you will see that there are many, many variations of almost every card - variations in picture size, number position, club (or clubs!!), spelling of name and sometimes even with no club at all named. This means that instead of there being 2462 cards that number probably triples or more if you are to collect ALL of the variations!

And then there are the rugby players within the set - it's not just Association Football - as these are often much, much harder to find and can be very, very pricey. I know a dealer who sells them at a tenner a piece which is a bit of a rip-off.

AND THEN ... if you're a true Pinnace collector, you'll want the medium-sized cards (approximately 8cm x 6cm) and I'm not sure how many of those there are. These will be followed by the postcard-sized 'Cabinet' cards which usually fetch around £20 a throw (I've been collecting a dozen or so years now and still have only six HTAFC ones).

AND FINALLY ... let's discuss the almost mythical 'Team Cards'! Matt Stevens is the King of this field as he has tens and tens of these. You needed to save your cards and trade them up at Phillips for the next type of card up until you finally got the elusive team card of your choice. In September 2014 Lockdale's held an auction which featured a number of these team cards which, with VAT and buyer's premiums factored in, probably went as follows:- Aston Villa  = £181.50; Birmingham = £484; Leicester City = £726; Millwall = £968; and the Watford card fetched a staggering £1028.50!! I wouldn’t mind so much, but the Watford card was creased and generally knackered! :o

Me? I'm just aiming for one of every card in the basic 'k'-sized set and I'm just over half-way. Not a lot of rugby cards yet though ...

MT ;)

Mariner tony

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
A shame faced Mariner must admit that he does not own a single card from any of manufacturers and being a predominantly football orientated collector that's quite lamentable. I do have a few football cig card sets but I'm mainy a trade/modern/sticker geek.
I'm going to investegate the Pinnace cards on the 'bay' and add a few to my collection directly!

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »
Unluckily for you, Tony, Grimsby is a tough sub-set to find in Pinnace, and when you DO find them they usually come at a premium.  :-\

According to my site, there are twenty-six to hunt down (including just one variation) but even that might need a few more adding that I haven't discovered yet!

GRIMSBY TOWN PINNACE GALLERY LINK

MT ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:59:19 PM by MansfieldTerrier »

Mariner tony

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:09:51 PM »
Thank you for that Terrier. Much appreciated!

gordon0653

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
 Hi everyone, Regarding Taddys, there doesn,t seem to be many WBA cards come up on E bay from what I can see, Are they one of the harder ones to find?

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 05:41:17 PM »
I have all the Shakers' k size pinnace in one form or another, but a few of the variations remain illusive, as do many of the larger cards.  Really wonder if some of these are still out there, inspite of having lists courtesy of fellow collectors on here.
The Cope (282) are all in the collection, but if anyone has a spare Number 132 of the 500 series, then that would be gladly purchased!
Sadly there are no Shakers Taddy cards- a pity as I like those.
Interesting thread.
UtS!

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:08:52 AM »
Hi everyone, Regarding Taddys, there doesn,t seem to be many WBA cards come up on E bay from what I can see, Are they one of the harder ones to find?

West Brom along with a lot of the midland /northern clubs are harder to find you will find the cards that are mostly available are the London Clubs ,  Fulham West  ham and Chelsea certainly seem to be the ones most available maybe the fact that Taddy was based in London has to do with that

Re No 132 had to be the Teddy Bullen card Shaker I presume must admit since I got it last year have never seen another since

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
And another post from me in relation to this.
I am currently constructing a website exclusively for the Taddy 'Prominent Footballers'.
My aim is to get images of every card - as with the PINNACE cards - but that might just be a tall order.
Some of the London Mixture cards go in excess of £200 per card. :o

Taddy Prominent Footballers

wandererpaul

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »
I only have a few, those with Bees connections, but I do have the reprints if you need scans of those to start you off?
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
I am currently constructing a website exclusively for the Taddy 'Prominent Footballers'.
Good luck with the website.  I hope other collectors can help you with some good scans.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 06:04:51 PM »
Sorry Roger,
Not a Shakers' player amongst them.☹️
UtS!

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 06:24:55 PM »
I only have a few, those with Bees connections, but I do have the reprints if you need scans of those to start you off?
You have me confused now, Paul.
Do you mean the Bees players in the Cope set?
No Brentford in the Taddy 'Prominent Footballers'.

wandererpaul

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:41:30 PM »
You have me confused now, Paul.
Do you mean the Bees players in the Cope set?
No Brentford in the Taddy 'Prominent Footballers'.

Brentford aren’t in either Copes or Taddy. However, players who were at Brentford or players who will be at Brentford are depicted on them. In some cases, the only way to see who they are as they may not be on a team photograph.

For example; Billy Brawn. Shown with Chelsea and Middlesbrough in the Taddy set but later played for Brentford - he was later the licensee of the pub I drink in before the game, the Kings Arms, too ;)

Another example or two in the Taddy series: George Gates, depicted for Leyton FC. Albert Bartlett, for Bradford City.

Who's online

18 Guests, 1 User
shaker