Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: What are the nicest cards issued in Australia and New Zealand?  (Read 2512 times)

admin

• Administrator
What are the nicest cards issued in Australia and New Zealand?
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:17:08 PM »
We've had quite a few new members join us from Australia and New Zealand recently. Welcome to you all. We see quite a few examples of British and American cards on here how about showing us some examples of cards issued in Australia and New Zealand?

What, in your opinion, is the best, nicest, most desirable card issued in Australia or New Zealand? It can be a cigarette or trade card or even a whole set if you wish. Show us what really gets antipodean cartophilists' hearts fluttering... :)

Steve F

Re: What are the nicest cards issued in Australia and New Zealand?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:07:17 AM »
Being a Cricket Card collector, and recognising that 99.9% of Cigarette Cards with Cricket themes are well recorded, they have to be rare and unusual Australian Trade Cards. Probably the earliest great looking Australian Cricket Cards are the 1902 McCracken's Brewery, Hordern's Stores cards which show the 1902 English (14 Cards) & Australian teams (12 Cards known) or the 1903 F.H. Faulding's cards which depict the 1903/04 English Team and were produced by the company when they were based in South Australian - 14 Cards in all, with beautiful B & W images of the team members

THese series are amongst the first Cricket themed Trade Card Sets produced in Australia and are highly sought after by Cricket Card Collectors downunder - refer Gallery 

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:20 PM »
Some nice early cards there Steve. Thanks for uploading pics of them. McCrackens and Hordern's seem to be using the same photograph. Were the two companies part of the same group or was it an enterprising photographer selling the same photograph to two different companies?  ;D

Here's the link to the cards in the Gallery...

http://www.cigarettecardcollecting.com/index.php?action=media;sa=album;in=17

Sam Salt

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:18 PM »
Early sports cards are really interesting... More! More!  :)

Steve F

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:01 AM »
To explain...

Yes these early Australian Cards do depict the same subjects - I contend that given McCracken's Brewery, Hordern's Store (Melbourne branch), Robert Hurst Boots & Shoes and another business from which a handful of similar cards are known to exist -Wallace Tyre Company (Bicycle Tyre manufacturer, absorbed by Dunlop in the mid - late 1900's) were all signatories to the same process using the 1902 English team images. In Melbourne all four businesses were based around or on Flinders Street so it would seem an enterprising Sales Rep managed to sign them up for the same or a similar marketing campaign.

The Green/Gold bordered Australian player cards are only seen with a Sydney Xmas advert for Horderns on the reverse so it is likely that these were only issued in NSW and are likley to have been produced in the lead up to Xmas 1902.

The McCracken's, Horderns and Wallace Tyres Cards are known in some numbers - although are still very rare and expensive, while I contend that the Robert Hurst Card is a salesmans sample that never made a full colour production run - hence it it likely to be the only one in existance.

To me, even with the obvious flaws and damage (visible in the image I've uploaded), it is the rarest card in my collection and possibly the rarest card in existance across UK and Australian cartophilic cricket themed cards.   

Robin Friday

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »
I'd love to get my hands on some Timaru Peter the Pilot cards ,
Victory ??

If any antipodean readers see this  please get in touch  ;D

Who's online

20 Guests, 0 Users