November 17, 2017, 05:40:50 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Most overpriced cards on Ebay  (Read 1501 times)

Heath

Most overpriced cards on Ebay
« on: October 05, 2016, 02:32:01 AM »
Following on from the similar thread about poorest condition - I saw a set of Wills Flower Culture in Pots for sale for $200 the other day. I am not familiar enough with the computermatronic machine to know how to post a link,(assuming they haven't sold already) but those cards are about 10 cents each at the Card Fairs.
Anyone seen similar ?
Heath

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Most overpriced cards on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
LCCC sells the set for 22.50.  There are certainly people who ask ridiculous prices.  Maybe they are trying it on or maybe they just don't know.  They think they have something special and don't realise it's very common.  I've seen it happen all over the place. 

On a slightly different subject, I've seen second-hand books for sale on Amazon at ridiculous prices.  It sometimes happens that seller A has a book for sale and offers it for x.  Seller B doesn't have the book but offers it for x + y% on the assumption that if anyone buys it he can buy seller A's copy and sell it on for a profit.  Seller A in the meantime sees the book on offer for x + y% and decides he can increase his price to slightly less and still be cheaper.  Seller B then adds y% on to the new price, and so on.  Eventually a book that started off at 50p can end up priced at thousands of Pounds.  See for example this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Erksome-War-Lawrence-Wheatley/dp/0863035663
where the used prices vary from $2.59 to $204.81  (I was interested in the book because it mentions some places where my father was stationed).

The moral is be aware of a sensible price and don't buy if the price asked is too high.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 11:01:53 AM by IanSammel »
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Heath

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
Agreed.

Jediknight

Heath

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
Do you think this is a tactic to get noticed and expects offers that do reflect true worth say 10, if so it likely worked.

Is the starting price reflected in the amount charged by eBay if so already lost money.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

john55

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
As an avid reader of books it always amazes me how second hand books appear dearer than you can purchase the same copy brand new.

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Hi guys (long time no speak!),

I know we don't share 'live' auctions but I thought someone might want to grab a bargain. You may have to be quick...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1913-WILLSS-CIGARETTES-Card-14-Musicians-Harmony-Swan-Arms-of-Companies-/322409568410?hash=item4b111b989a:g:h74AAOSwLF1X~8W3

If only...

Cheers,
Sam
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:06:37 AM »
Hi Sam,
the price does include the stand, although the effect is rather spoiled by the holes in the screw heads being at different angles.  You would think that for that price it would include some of those dome-shaped chrome trim thingies.  It also has fine scratches.  Better than any old run-of-the-mill scratches.
Be Bop Deluxe

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • Huddersfield Town Cards & Stickers

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:28:08 AM »
On German Ebay there is a trend to list all cards in a set individually.  Someone gets their hands on a set of say 270 cards worth maybe 30 in total and lists the 270 cards for 1 each.  Sometimes more.  It's just like the bad old days before they introduced listing fees.  If you have a shop you can list as many things as you like without it costing extra.  Once again buyers have to plough through pages and pages of junk to find anything.  There are some sellers that I just block.
Be Bop Deluxe

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 11:20:13 AM »
Here's another.
This seller knows nothing about the market value; both of these cards are priced up at DOUBLE their top price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391701284967?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1924-Poppletons-Cigarette-Card-T-Wilson-Huddersfield-Town-Error-In-Spelling-/391701282108?hash=item5b33373d3c:g:6BoAAOSw32lYndZd

MT ;)

They can't even be attributed to Poppletons, as there isn't a back stamp.

They are the unmarked cards, probably sold to VCC & Poppletons on license, and similar to the Bunsen or Barrett's.

Got the only brentford card for 20 and 10! One good and one poor.

Just need to make up a Poppleton rubber stamp and sell it for 100! lol
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2017, 12:04:57 PM »
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Who's online

30 Guests, 0 Users