December 13, 2017, 08:53:30 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: What inspired you to collect?  (Read 471 times)

card renaissance

What inspired you to collect?
« on: June 13, 2017, 06:50:38 PM »
What inspired you to collect cards? I'll kick it off: here's a Youtube video of a scary event that inspired me to collect.

! No longer available

Heath

Re: What inspired you to collect?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 02:33:38 AM »
Wow !
That's cool.
Not sure what inspired me to start collecting cigarette cards except all the kids at school when I was a kid collected everything they could get there hands on. I had toy soldiers, Batman cards, tea cards stamps etc but it was the quality of the old cig cards that got me enthused. Its a bit like having your own art gallery.

card renaissance

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 09:33:25 AM »
Yeah, I had tea cards but they didn't really do it for me. It was when I saw the old cigarette cards that got me interested the most in card collecting.  My half-brother was fanatical about collecting Marvel comics, so I might have been influenced by him as well.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:36:06 AM by card renaissance »

Heath

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
The historical aspect of the ciggie cards interests me too.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 12:22:59 PM »
I don't remember really as I was very young at the time.  We drank Lyons tea and I collected some of the "Australia" cards.  I think I still have them somewhere.  Probably I was encouraged by my mother.  I remember getting upset when she decided to switch to PG tips and I couldn't complete the set.  I vaguely remember collecting Freshwater Fish and I haven't stopped since.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

exdrummer

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 04:58:27 PM »
Brooke Bond Freshwater Fish was 1 of the first sets I collected as a child too. Loved all the Natural History sets BB issued.

Mariner tony

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:46 PM »
I can vaguely remember my grandparents collecting Brooke Bond Wild Birds of Britain in 1965. My first independent foray was the FKS World Cup 1974 sticker set (with a little help from Grandad). In fact I made up two sets and stuck them into the album with slithers of clear tape not wanting to ruin the stickers with glue. It did not occur to me that 40 years later, when I removed the stickers, the tape would have stained them! I still have them today in an album properly protected and taking pride of place in my collection.

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »
WWF Bubblegum stickers for me. My dad made me a board with numbered rectangles to stick them all onto. A set of those is on my wants list even now actually. After that it was the Merlin 1995 Premier League stickers before I found the tin in the loft full of cigarette cards. That was me hooked!
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:10:15 PM »
 i can remember collecting brooke bond  history of the motor car. the collecting bug really took of with  the sun soccer stamps. perforated stickers really. one of the  the best football card /sticker sets. took a long time to complete  a set i still have
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

john55

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 08:14:36 PM »
I used to look at my grandfathers cards that  he had from when he smoked, in the mid sixties my mother worked where a lot of tea was drunk, and she used to bring home the cards for me these were all PG Tips, and when i used to visit the local barber we were given a few ABC bubble gum cards (i wish i had these ABC cards now).

Who's online

17 Guests, 1 User
shaker