July 27, 2017, 03:33:42 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: eBay - search category change...  (Read 190 times)

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
eBay - search category change...
« on: June 28, 2017, 03:55:29 PM »
Hi guys,

I rarely moan about things but I couldn't help but notice that in the last few days eBay (UK) have changed their categories for cigarette/tea/gum cards. It did used to be the case that you could search for cigarette cards and they'd come up in the category 'cigarette/tea/gum cards' and then the sub categories underneath. Now though cigarette cards are listed under 'tobacciana and smoking supplies' and the use of 'non-sport trading card' has crept in (covering gum and tea I presume).

I am a little saddened by this as I do worry that it's symptomatic of a general view that cigarette cards belong with 'smoking' as opposed to collectable cards. I can't think why eBay felt the need to change it when in my view it was perfectly fine! It also now means we all have to search 'football', 'bird', 'cricket' etc. in multiple categories instead of just the one.

Is it just me that's a bit frustrated by this move?

Thanks,
Sam
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: eBay - search category change...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
I regularly get frustrated by changes introduced by Ebay.  Until recently the start page used to show a list of articles corresponding to searches I had stored.  Immediately on logging in I could see whether anything new had turned up.  Now I just get bombarded with a load of adverts.  Spreading cards out over several categories probably means sellers will have to list cards in several categories and then Ebay can charge more listing fees.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:42:03 PM »
The think that annoys me most is when they send you an email after an auction closes saying, sorry you missed out on such and such a Bury FC card, would you be interested in such and such a Manchester United card.
NO, I BLOODY WOULDN'T.
UtS!

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
I noticed this too. Very annoying.  >:(

eBay thinks they're upgrading their site when in fact it's making it worse.
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

Mariner tony

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 07:31:21 AM »
Yes, as a buyer and seller, I've noticed the changes. I quite agree with Sam and all follow up comments roughly translated to: 'if it ain't broken why try to fix it?'

Zappa

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
I completely agree! As someone that lists lots of cards on eBay I'm having real trouble describing them effectively as none of the old drop down categories are there anymore - very annoying!!

Who's online

11 Guests, 1 User
Cedric1812