November 17, 2017, 05:35:49 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: 1907 Taddy's Cricketers - Hard, obtainable or impossible?  (Read 389 times)

Steve F

1907 Taddy's Cricketers - Hard, obtainable or impossible?
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:18:42 AM »
Help wanted from Cricket card collectors in the 'mother' country...

I have a few of the 1907 Taddy's County Cricketer issues - Ranji, Fry & about a dozen or so others (not including the stand alone London County C.C. W.G. Grace card, which must be the set's holy grail!)

I was wondering if there were any particular Counties more difficult to collect than the others? I note that there are about 14 - 16 cards in each and thought I might begin by collecting them a County at a time, though unsure if this is the right way to go about it!!!

I've also noticed some of the cards on eBay (UK) are offered for over UK Pnds 50 each which seems an exorbitant price for a card in a set that has over 230 cards, if you were ever able to complete it!

Can anyone assist, or suggest other information that sheds more light on their issue and collecting history?

Cheers from Down Under

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: 1907 Taddy's Cricketers - Hard, obtainable or impossible?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
I must admit that I don't know any specific details about this set.  My  Murray's is almost 20 years old now but even back then they catalogued at 40 each, so I guess the price is around the right level.  Murray didn't have a complete set available then.  They're cheap compared with Wills 1896 cricketers.  :)

If you want to collect the set, I wouldn't do it county by county.  That way you'll probably spend a lot of time looking for the last card from a particular county and miss other cards on offer.  Just take whatever comes along at a reasonable price and condition.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Steve F

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »
Thanks for the advice and I will lookout for them as and when they are available Ian.

I cant agree with you on price however, as the lot I've just made an accepted offer on (to begin the bigger process of collecting them) is 40 cards in VG+ condition at AUD $500, so it seems that I might have scored a bargain!!! This gives me about a quarter of the series issue so I guess I am committed to the long haul now!

As for the 1896 Wills cards - I can never understand the UK Prices on these cards. I have 45/50 in my collection (most in VG - Ex cond.) and haven't paid more than AUD $50 for any of them so I'm not sure why they are so expensive in the UK? About 12 months or so ago, I only had 10 of them and have spent the past 12 months picking them up here & there - eBay, Card Fairs, Swapping spares etc. I don't seem to have had much difficulty finding the additional 35 at a fair price and this includes a lot of 10 cards all in VG+ condition from an eBay bid that was well under UK Pnds 100!

Despite this, I suspect the final five will be harder to locate in good condition and at a reasonable cost, if offered. One of the remaining cards is the W.G. Grace card and I know I might have to pay a bit for it but I am prepared to do that to finish the set.

Cheers

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 08:02:05 PM »
exdrummer is a bit of an expert on this subject
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

exdrummer

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:40 PM »
Thanks for that David. If I were you I would buy any Taddy Cricketer I needed, as Ian says buying by County could mean you miss out by ignoring cards from a different county. It is fairly well known that Northamptonshire are the most difficult to find, followed by the Midland counties such as Leics, Warks, Notts and Derby. The easiest (and none are really that common) are Surrey, Sussex, Essex, Middlesex, all close to London, and Lancs and Yorkshire, the northern powerhouses. I have been told that Taddy were a London based company whose products were generally more expensive, hence most Taddy cards are rarer than say Wills or Players of a similar age, and that they produced more cards featuring London subjects. I have also been told that the London Football teams are the easiest to find. The catalogue price is now 60 in the latest Murrays. The Northampton Prominent Footballers are also very hard to find. Hope this is of some help.
Chris

Steve F

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 02:40:56 AM »
Thanks for the advice ED - I have decided to pursue them on availability and not County by County which appears to be the best advice - and thanks also for the tip on the Northants County issues - the good news is that in the lot I acquired recently there are 8 of them included.

Steve

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
has ogdenscards would say. try to get the difficult/expensive ones first. the rest will fall in to place
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Who's online

30 Guests, 1 User
shaker