November 19, 2017, 07:45:09 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: What Cards Will Be Popular In The 2020s?  (Read 405 times)

card renaissance

What Cards Will Be Popular In The 2020s?
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
What cards will people be collecting in the 2020s? Let us know your predictions below. I think  football cards will still probably be climbing in popularity . Perhaps there will be renewed interest in everything connected with the Roaring 20's when we celebrate the centenary, especially since the 2020's will be a constant reminder of that decade of decadence. I've done a video of some of the most over-the-top fashions donned by the greatest movie icons from that period:

! No longer available

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:16:06 AM by card renaissance »

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: What Cards Will Be Popular In The 2020s?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Oh, I don't know about decadence.  We're all supposed to be so terribly PC nowadays, but we may be lucky.  It's more likely to be "nostalgic" things from the 1970s or 80s following on from 1960s bubble gum cards.  I agree football will still be popular. 
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
Oh, I don't know about decadence.  We're all supposed to be so terribly PC nowadays, but we may be lucky.  It's more likely to be "nostalgic" things from the 1970s or 80s following on from 1960s bubble gum cards.  I agree football will still be popular.

Yeah, you might be right about the 70s and 80s. I think the music related cards from those decades are underrated.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
I have always thought that music stopped around 1977 but that's just my personal prejudice.  50 years of glam rock, punk rock etc.  might create a revival.
Be Bop Deluxe

up the cherries!

• Up the cherries!
  • Modern trade, Real Photographic, BAT
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:09:49 PM »
I agree, football cards will still be popular.But I also think that the currently lesser favoured Panini and Merlin stickers of the 70's and 80's may become collected by people returning to the hobbies of their youth?

Mariner tony

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
Seems quite a straight forward thing to predict on the surface. Anything that enjoys exposure, and is relevant today, had a readymade and evolving fan base. Panini have a World Cup/Euro's every two years to keep the ball rolling in terms of bringing new folk into collecting. Likewise Topps/Merlin with the Premier League and Champions League. Cards and stickers are highly exposed and well catered for.
As we have discussed many times before - with strong views displayed all round - cigarette cards, in my view, have become an almost anachronistic irrelevance. Try selling very nice quality sets of cards on the internet for a fraction - and a small fraction at that - of catalogue price to get my drift. But that's now, and that's not what the question asks.
Undoubtedly trends do change. Unforeseen circumstances often rekindled past interests and I certainly hope that that is the case with cigarette cards. My prediction: cigarette cards to stay where they are for now (but to reemerge more strongly in times to come. Trade card interest to slowly decline over the years, and modern releases (mainly stickers) to continue to flourish.

card renaissance

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:05 AM »
I would say that with the way the world is at the moment, absolutely anything is possible . It's both terrifying and interesting at the same time. Maybe it might inspire some decent music with real substance as well, like in the 60s, 70s and 20s.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 08:38:49 AM by card renaissance »

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 04:55:12 PM »
panini europa 80. merlin euro 96 1st issue. and more than likely all the panini 1970s sets
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
As we have discussed many times before - with strong views displayed all round - cigarette cards, in my view, have become an almost anachronistic irrelevance. Try selling very nice quality sets of cards on the internet for a fraction - and a small fraction at that - of catalogue price to get my drift.
Nostalgia being what it is (and not what it used to be), I think people tend to be attracted to the things of their childhood.  At the moment it's the baby boomers of the 50s and 60s who are retiring and finding time to rediscover their childhood.  Soon it will be the children of the 70s.  The children of the 20s and 30s are largely no longer with us and so the interest in the cards of that era is dropping. 

Years ago I corresponded with Tom Garbaty.  Collectors of German cards will immediately recognise the name.  He left Germany at an early age in 1939.  His father owned the Garbaty company so he had a good collection of cigarette cards.  He had to leave them all behind when he fled to the USA.  He spent a lot of time trying to build up his collection again.  Not that that has much to do with what people will be collecting in the 2020s but it illustrates the fascination of one's childhood.
Be Bop Deluxe

Mariner tony

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 09:16:02 PM »
I quite agree with your comments Ian. My view however is that all is not lost for the cigarette card. We have all shown sets of cards to the non collector and noticed the sheer delight on the face as they view these 'miniature masterpieces.' If only greater exposure to them could be engineered. Many of the sets have something that the vast majority of modern trade cards and all stickers lack: sheer beguiling beauty that is timeless.

card renaissance

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 09:49:11 PM »
The one word answer to that is: coins. People collect coins from hundreds of years ago. Unless they're vampires or time travelers, I don't think they're collecting because of rose tinted childhood memories :) I know that nostalgia has a very powerful influence over people but, by definition, it is limited to just one generation at a time. Surely, it is better in the long run to encompass multiple generations rather than just one. History has a habit of repeating itself so it is always relevant, even more so now. I always think it's both more exciting and educational exploring the unknown rather than reliving what you already know anyway from your childhood.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:34:34 PM by card renaissance »

Who's online

24 Guests, 1 User
wandererpaul