October 22, 2017, 12:11:29 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Strangest card you've ever seen?  (Read 176 times)

card renaissance

Strangest card you've ever seen?
« on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
What's the strangest card you've ever come across? If I had to choose, I guess Bocnal's glow in the dark cards must be high up the list concept wise (Luminous Silhouettes of Beauty and Charm). I've heard there were some "cigarette cards" that were issued as gramophone records, although perhaps that's stretching the definition of what a card is. I haven't got any of the record cigarette cards but I've got a postcard version and here's my YouTube video of it and how something similar might have inspired a music revolution:

! No longer available

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:01:24 PM by card renaissance »

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Strangest card you've ever seen?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 08:35:24 AM »
I wonder how many times you could play those old embossed postcards.  Probably the record players of the time would have worn them out very quickly.  An early version of "this record will self-destruct in five seconds". 

I have some German luminous cigarette cards of ships.  They are very rare.  Somewhere or other I have a French card of "a famous nude dancer".  The card shows the top half of her and there is a slider you can pull out to progressively show more of the bottom half.  Just when it starts to get interesting the bottom picture turns out to be something completely different to what you were expecting.  If only I knew where it is.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:32:05 AM »
I wonder how many times you could play those old embossed postcards.  Probably the record players...

Unfortunately, I haven't got a record player to play them on anymore but I think it might be a bit tricky because they do look a bit warped  to say the least. I like the concept though, especially if they inspired a music revolution, like a butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil... Yeah, I find those mechanical cards fascinating. They remind me of pop-up books. Unlike straightforward cards, it's much more difficult to collect them online. That's one type of item you want to check over first hand at card fairs.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:31:26 AM by card renaissance »

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
Unfortunately, I haven't got a record player to play them on anymore but I think it might be a bit tricky because they do look a bit warped  to say the least.
I have a record player but I've never tried to play any postcards.  If they are too badly warped it could be difficult but you can always try playing them at low speed and speeding them up on the PC afterwards.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Who's online

12 Guests, 0 Users