December 12, 2017, 02:58:12 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Ogdens item 97 - Cricket cards  (Read 244 times)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
Ogdens item 97 - Cricket cards
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
I know I could find this out with a little research, but I know some of you are experts. The list of cards are the the names found in the GENERAL INTEREST series item 97. the subjects are likely 1902

Question one  - most of the teams are shown but a few are not, what teams did these players play for?
Q2 - Is there a common denominator i.e. did they play for some championship or their country, trying to establish why these particular players were chosen to be included in the series.
Q3 - Are there any mistakes either in picture or spelling, if you need me to scan all the cards just ask.
Q4 - Is there any other interesting point or issue that I could include in my writings

CRICKETERS.

1. Abel - Surrey
2. Barnes - Lancs
3. Blythe - Kent
4. C. B. Fry    
5. Haigh -Yorks
6. Lord Hawke
7. W. Hayman - Middlesex
8. Hayward - Surrey
9. Hunter - Yorks
10. F. S. Jackson
11. Lockwood - Surrey
12. J. R. Mason
13. Mead - Essex
14. W. G. Quaife
15. K. S. Ranjitsinhji
16. Rhodes
17. Richardson - Surrey
18. Shrewsbury
19. V. Trumper
20. Tunnicliffe - Yorks
21. S. M. J. Woods - Somerset
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

exdrummer

Re: Ogdens item 97 - Cricket cards
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:11:47 PM »
C B Fry played for Sussex, and later for Hampshire. Lord Hawke, F S Jackson & Rhodes Yorkshire, J R Mason Kent, W G Quaife Warwickshire, Ranjitsinhji Sussex, Shrewsbury Nottinghamshire, Trumper New South Wales & Australia. Yorkshire were County Champions, and the other players were all the superstars of that time.

exdrummer

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:29:55 PM »
Some more info, Colin Blythe was killed in action in WW1. Arthur Shrewsbury committed suicide. I've heard 2 versions, 1 that he was depressed that age had caught up with him and he could no longer play cricket, and 2 that he thought he had a serious illness and decided to end it all, but was not actually ill. Very sad either way.
Chris.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:35:34 AM »
Thank you for that information Chris will add it to my writings today, thought you would respond to this topic.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Steve F

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 10:36:12 AM »
David,

According to Derek Deadman's authoritative book "Cricket Cigarette & Trade Cards", these were issued in 1904, and are a subset of 300 issued in the series.

He also includes as the 22nd card in the issue the card depicting the 'Comic Cricket Match at Woodside Athletic Sports'

Can you confirm a few things for me...

- All cards are unnumbered in the entire series
- the 'Comic Cricket...' card is from the same issue
- Confirm the year of publication - you suggest 1902, while Derek records 1904 - which is correct?

Cheers from Down under

Steve F.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 11:35:09 AM »
Steve

To answer your questions.

All 300 cards in this section are unnumbered
The ' Comic Cricket' are from this section but i have placed the card under Athletics, because the Tittle is 'Comic Cricket Match - Woodside Athletic Sports. Can see why your keen though.
It is possible to check the year of some of the events and all that can be checked and verified are events that took place in 1902. The last event October 1902 and this date is on the card. Giving a period of time to process, my guess early 1903, December 1902 at the earliest. They seem to be issuing events that were in the news at the time so would think 1904 to be a bit of a stretch.
However, the cards may have stayed in packets on dealers shelves for longer than expected.
Tillotsons who printed most of if not all the TAB cards ceased doing business with Ogdens following the Take over by ITC, late 1902. These are letter press but with a finish to the cards that damages easily and crazes.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
Another thought some of the events are annual such as the Derby, the cards depicted are the Derby June 1902, 1903 is not included, nor 1904.

My earlier questions what ties these cricketers together, why choose these particular players was to try and date the issues.

You have used the word subset. There is no official series or subsets of these cards, Collectors in the past have placed these cards together because they look and feel the same in every manor. It is what we class as an adopted title i.e. one that collectors and recorders of the past have given the series.

In this case  GENERAL INTEREST, adopted tittle,  there are differences between, 100 cards have a clear full stop after each name, and 200 cards do not. All the sports cards fall into the second category. The Cricket and Football have been sub-divided for ease of recording.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:51:07 AM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

Steve F

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 11:25:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply - fantastic information & added to my growing index of information on worldwide Cricket Cards

I am not too worried about the addition of the 'Comic Cricket Match' card - It is a recorded themed card and makes up one of the 192 recorded Ogden's TABS 'cricket' themed cards.

I am missing 2 subject cards from the TABS - Series C #255 C.B. Fry & Series F #37 Prince Ranjitsinhji, with about a handful of others to upgrade to 10/10, before I can shut the door on collecting them totally!!!

Cheers

Steve F.

Who's online

15 Guests, 0 Users