Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: How does A&BC compare to the U.S. Topps Issues?  (Read 398 times)

josh4192

• Joshua Leland Evans
  • 848-565-5110 USA
    • lelands.com
How does A&BC compare to the U.S. Topps Issues?
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:36:35 AM »
As a box collector, in most cases I find them superior in terms of the graphics of the box art. Here is my example of the Superman in the Jungle box by A&BC. There is no comparable for Topps as they only issued it as a ?test? in America. The Topps test cards are quite rare while the A&BC cards are out there is somewhat good supply. However, there was no box in America that has survived, at least that I know of.

But it was kind of an arbitrary subject to pick. Superman in the Jungle? Doesn?t seem like a jungle sort of superhero like a Tarzan or a George of the Jungle (U.S. cartoon show). Why not Superman visits a bakery?
Advanced U.S. collector of non-sports rarities. Including unopened full boxes, packs and mint cards, A&BC, Anglo, Somportex, and other U.S. and foreign issues. Chairman of Lelands.com, the original sports auction house. Please contact me as I make frequent trips to the UK and elsewhere.

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: How does A&BC compare to the U.S. Topps Issues?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 08:29:22 AM »
I agree.  Superman in the jungle does seem to be a strange subject.  Anglo did a set of Tarzan cards so maybe this was meant to be A&BC?s answer to that.  Superman sounds like a sort of gee whizz hero that people in the UK might have heard of who would make the set popular.  However without the same superhero culture that there is in the States maybe A&BC just didn?t realise that Superman wasn?t really the sort of superhero who would hang around in jungles.  The only real exposure to superheroes that we had in the 60s was Adam West as Batman.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
Re: How does A&BC compare to the U.S. Topps Issues?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 11:54:12 AM »
On my 'to-do' list id compiling examples from all the various A&BC Football sets and putting them along side the Topps Baseball/Football equivalents, usually issued the previous year.

Who's online

13 Guests, 0 Users