Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Rob't Sinclair Newcastle Footbalers  (Read 395 times)

searching

Rob't Sinclair Newcastle Footbalers
« on: February 21, 2019, 05:26:44 AM »
Hello ,
         I recently picked up these Rob't Sinclair Cigarettes of 2 Newcastle Footballers.
I dont know much about them other than they are very difficult to come across, probably late 1890s, would appreciate any information about them.

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Rob't Sinclair Newcastle Footbalers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
According to my ancient version on Murray's they were issued in 1900.  They look like B/W on card in which case there are possibly five in the set.  (The catalogue says five with question mark).  There are apparently also two mauve on paper cards known.  Maybe some of our football experts will know more details.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 01:52:04 PM by Alan »

searching

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 07:31:31 PM »
Alan, thank you, that is a most in depth information reply I  have seen,very interesting.

I do not know enough about English Football and as a point of interest could you tell me what the earliest know English Football Cigarette cards are,  and when they were issued issued ?.  A bit of trivia but I have been wondering.

Regards, Paul

searching

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »
Did a Google search and came up with the following, and should have done this earlier, anyway here is what I found,

"In 1896 the first football set appeared. Footballers & Club Colours was published by Marcus & Company, a small firm in Manchester.
These cards are extremely rare. This is true of all the early football sets that were issued at this time: Footballers & Club Colours (Kinner, 1898)".   
It then goes on to list sets issued after 1902.

So, Marcus and Co and Kinner are the only two listed prior to 1900.

It would now appear that there are 3 company's who issued  Football Cigarette cards prior to 1900, as Rob't Sinclair Cigarette sets not listed in the Google info above.

Rob't Sinclairs issued 3 different sets in 1898, Newcastle United and Sunderland in black and white and a mauve issue, got that from Alans links.

While that will do for now, if anyone knows differently I would be happily informed.

garryd

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »
did you ever get any more info re these there were about a dozen or so different subjects in this series in an auction in newcatle about 5 years ago
ps are you looking to sell them

searching

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 11:21:03 AM »
Hello Garry ,
             the best info about these cards are by using the links above that Allan posted previously.

Not looking to sell them at the moment, but will sometime in the future.

Regards Paul

PM sent

Who's online

9 Guests, 0 Users