July 27, 2017, 03:36:07 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Ground control to Major Tom  (Read 8767 times)

IanSammel

• German cards
Ground control to Major Tom
« on: March 04, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
..  to quote the words of a famous song.  Whilst looking for the Yellow Submarine wrappers in the gallery I discovered an album of Mr. Softee "Moon Mission".  The set tells the story of Captain Tom and his mission to fly to the moon.  Coincidence or did David Bowie eat Mr. Softee ice cream?
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
Re: Ground control to Major Tom
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
ian, any chance in showing some of the cards from mr. softee ;moon mission'.
i have it down as a set that i wish to aquire, to include into my astronomy and space exploration, but the way you describe it, the set seems as if it is more like the Wrights Biscuits set, 'mischeif goes to mars' set.
if it is only a fantasy set, then i could delete it from my ;wants' list.
i have never come across any moon mission cards before, so would be useful to be able to see some samples, if you could oblige by posting some images

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
Back in those days I stuck cards into albums, so here's a scan of one of the album pages.  (That reminds me, I must try to complete the set as well).   The set dates from the days of the Mercury program and shows how people in those days thought a flight to the moon might be carried out.  It's clearly fictional but sticks to the physics involved and explains many phenomena which occur in practice.
Be Bop Deluxe

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »
On the same topic, here's a page from "Marvels of this modern age", presented with Eagle. 
Just realised the picture doesn't actually show a Redstone rocket or even a Mercury capsule but rather an X20 Dyna Soar.  Just up your street fossil :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-20_Dyna-Soar
The cards are blank on the back and obviously I put them in the wrong slots.  I was only about 8 at the time.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:02:45 AM by IanSammel »
Be Bop Deluxe

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
thanks for putting on the moon mission card, never seen any samples before.
looked on ebay today, and no-one selling any.

your correct about the eagle album,it only contains eight cards in the set, and quite often found selling on ebay.

card renaissance

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »
..  to quote the words of a famous song.  Whilst looking for the Yellow Submarine wrappers in the gallery I discovered an album of Mr. Softee "Moon Mission".  The set tells the story of Captain Tom and his mission to fly to the moon.  Coincidence or did David Bowie eat Mr. Softee ice cream?

Ian, it might be pure coincidence but I found something in a David Bowie book that seems to echo what you said several years ago, before the book was updated and expanded. Hmmm, makes you wonder :) Perhaps you've started a domino effect.
 https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LqFkDQAAQBAJ&pg=PT597&lpg=PT597&dq=david+bowie+mister+softee+moon+mission&source=bl&ots=c1380Xzlbm&sig=nW-sp5vvS2o-WjUUUuFBHhAY2QU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjGy_rvs9vUAhXNJ1AKHVLdBBIQ6AEILTAC#v=onepage&q=david%20bowie%20mister%20softee%20moon%20mission&f=false
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:49:43 PM by card renaissance »

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Perhaps you've started a domino effect.
Maybe I did.  It's a shame that the man himself is no longer around or we could ask him.  Probably we'll never know  :(
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 02:12:08 PM »
Perhaps you've started a domino effect.
Maybe I did.  It's a shame that the man himself is no longer around or we could ask him.  Probably we'll never know  :(

There was a Scottish record label that called itself Postcard Records. As their name suggests, it was inspired by (vintage) postcards that featured actual records, a bit like those talkie cigarette cards. Apparently they "kickstarted the 1980s indie music revolution", according to a book I've read. At least that example seems to be quite concrete, although the book is made up of many different recollections.

Who's online

10 Guests, 1 User
Cedric1812