September 21, 2017, 06:16:25 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: 101 cards to own before you die  (Read 50387 times)

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
101 cards to own before you die
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:52:50 PM »
OK its the Easter weekend and while contemplating a 6th expression of English Whisky I got to thinking. We have books on all manner of 101 things to do/eat/drink before you die, and I think if all of our contributors put there heads together we could come up with a list of 101 cards to own before you die.

Now I am fully aware that most of us could come up with a list of very desirable and expensive cards that we would love to own. This isn't about that card. What this list is about is a list of cards that we own and for whatever reason think our fellow collectors should also own.

So these are the rules.

1. You must own the card, it has to be in your current collection.

2. It should be readily available. You may need to spend time hunting it down but it shouldn't be so rare that it is nearly impossible to find.

3. It shouldn't be too expensive (think affordable). Put the price you think it is worth or if you can remember what you paid for it.

4. It has to be an individual card. You can own the set but you are recommending just 1 card from it.

5. You have to give your reasons behind why this card should be on the list. Any reason is a valid reason, but you must include it in your submission.

6. If someone else has recommended a card you can not also recommend it. Give us another from your collection, spread the word.

We should be trying to show that you don,t need to spend a fortune to have a cracking selection of what makes our hobby what it is. Also please remember that if someone submits a card or 2 to the list then that is their choice of what they think is a great card, you may not agree but don't show your disapproval on this forum please respect what they think and why.

One last point no more than 3 submissions please, lets see if we can encourage lots of folk to submit. If we reach 101 then I will knock up the list and maybe we can have it as a sticky on the forum. If you don't submit then you will just get loads off me and you will only have yourself to blame. You have been warned.

wolfie

Re: 101 cards to own before you die
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »
My weekly silk the SOMME.

I paid £5:00 for this card that was issued with the girls magazine "My Weekly" girls were encourage to make pretty cushion covers or tea cosy by collecting these silks and sewing then together.
The card itself depicts a clean sanitised picture of men going over the top, the main figure is waving his helmet in a cheery manner. For me its the way it depicts the horrors of the trenches in a fictionalised way clean colours sunny clear blue sky. A reminder of time when ladies were sheltered (supposedly) from the reality of the world.

wolfie

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:34:42 PM »
Brooke Bond The Race into Space card 46 Space Shuttle

Set of 50 cards given away with Brooke Bond Tea. Card shows a space shuttle or how the space shuttle was first thought of. It was planned to have a winged booster that would take the shuttle up to 200,000 feet then the shuttle and the winged booster would separate. Obviously this was never used and America stayed with the solid fuel booster rocket. Picture is dramatic with bold colours the actual shuttle design wasnt that far from what was used.

Individual cost of the card about 50p no reason not to have a mint copy of this card lots of sets for sale all the time.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 02:26:29 PM by wolfie »

Robin Friday

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 10:12:09 PM »
super idea Wolfie , I'll try to limit my choice down to 3 cards ...maybe a mixture of eras , coutry of issue and cost .

Happy Holiday weekend to All .

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:50:15 AM »
my first choice of card, is from the brooke bond tea'british wild life', which is one of my all favourite sets of cards together with 'bird portraits'.
the set is commonly available, i having purchased my set for around £5.
the set was produced as collectable, but educational, during the 1950's, as with most other sets by brooke bond, until the the 1990's, when less seious sets began to be issued.
the card i choose from this set, is no.3, wild white or park cattle.
when i first discovered this card, when a young lad, i was totally amazed, that we have truly wild cattle roaming around our countryside (in enclosed country estates), having thought that any encounter with wild animals in this country were rather small sized,or deer sized.
i have made a study of these cattle , and the various herds that exhist in estates or parks, and found that there is much distinct variation, such as some herds being polled,curved or normal horns, plus point colouring of nose and ears being black or red.
the artist, c.f.tunnicliffe, was a well known wildlife and countryside artist, that captures te essence of the countryside, and shows the animal in its natural surroundings.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
I don't want to break the rules but I have 2 favorite sets, so still thinking which card I like the most. The 2 sets are "The Panama Canal" by Hignett, being a surveyor do like some of the pictures as they show the magnitude of the achievement in building the canal & locks,and "Hints & Tips for Motorists" by Lambert & Butler, have actually used some of the information on the cards as I have a vintage car from that era.
Lambert & Butler card No 7 From "Motors" 1908 my dad had this card in his tin I found and it was the only one in this set he had and I can remembering thinking it needs some friends and that is what started me collecting the cards.
One final mention is "Colour in Nature" by Ogden's.

For me to decide which is my favorite 3 cards may take sometime.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

wolfie

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »
Time you have Ogdencards, I dont see this project being completed for a while. Well that is unless we start getting serious on it then who knows we may reach the magic 101 in days ;)

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
This has really set the cat amongst the pigeons! My first reaction was to choose one from the many sets of caricatures (one passion of mine), that illustrate that card don't always have to be 'educational' or 'serious' - Players Rip footballers or cricketers, Players Mac footballers, Ogdens footballers, Churchman Men of the Moment or Mickey Durling's Empire News footballers, even the Straight Line VIPs - but how do you choose 1?

So finally decided to go back to one of my first purchases - Gallaher Wild Flowers 1939 - an inspired design with the flowers outwith a central vignette of a garden setting and beautifully produced on a quality, slightly larger-than-average card. Have rarely seen 'Flowers' in a better setting. Cost when bought £2.10s; single card today - few pence.My choice for no particular reason - Number 45, the King Cup.

Robin Friday

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
a card from my favourite UK set .

I love the angle of the shot , full on action , the speed lines , the colour and the art .

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
my first choice is. the adipose computer no 1013 from the dr who battles in time series. it was the only card i was missing from a totally complete series.
at the time i refused to pay the ebay prices of around £50.00.  i eventually got the card in a job lot of ebay for £2.00. second choice i would have to agree with fossil brooke bond british wildlife. and the same card no 3
never seen one in real life.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms.herald/britians farm/zoo animals.plastic/pvc. 1960s-70s

"Quality Is Remembered, Long After The Price Is Forgotten"

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 04:48:13 PM »
Grand idea Wolfie so i will stick to your rules and choose 3 cards 1 each post Obviously in my collection so it they will have to be Churchmans , Victoria Cross related and Newcastle United related some tough descisions to make but each one means that something to me
So on to the first Card No 166 from Gallahers Victoria Cross heroes 7the Series one John Travers Cornwell VC his story was the inspiration to me collecting VC cards A 16 year old boy from London from a poor family enlisted in the Royal Navy rank Boy First Class despite being mortally wounded he stood his post at The Battle of Jutland by his gun on HMS Chester in an exposed position , his gun crew dead or wounded he stood by his post he died when brought ashore at Grimsby As he was from a poor background he was buried in a paupers grave but the  story of his action and being awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross ( one of the first as until then VC,S  were not awarded posthumously ) There was such an outcry by the public that his body was exhumed and given a very impressive and well attended military funeral with full honours he was bured in Manor Park Cemetry London Card posted in Gallery Purchased the card from a freind but normally from £1-3
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 04:54:38 PM by magpiemick »

Robin Friday

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 05:55:51 PM »
C'mon Guys , give the lurkers something to look at by at least showing your fav card (apart from MagpieMick) .

My 2nd entry ..from the US set titled Horrors of War , one of the scarcer cards in this 280 card mega-monster of a set to complete .

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 10:12:30 AM »
the second card of my three, for the top 101 cards to get, is from other all time favourite sets, other than british wild life, is the brooke bond tea set, bird portraits.
although with great difficulty to choose  the top card, i think it must be no. 1, the raven.
a corvid bird, from the order of passeriformes, often regarded as one of the most intelligent of birds, a bird of mmany myths and legends.
once again, illustrated by the reknown wildlife artist, and issued as a set for children (and adults), as an educational tool, to encourage collectors to learn about our native bird fauna.
i think the artist as once again, captured the nscenary, in which i have seen myself, in isolated coastal areas of cornwall, whenever i holiday there.
also, i must encourage all you viewers to read edgar allan poes, the raven, a fantastic gothic poem

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22:44 AM »
There are many cards which mean something special to me but are probably not particularly interesting to anyone else.  For example I still have the very first cards I ever collected, from Lyons tea.  My first cigarette cards were some Churchmans In Town Tonight which my mother gave me many years ago.

My first choice would be a Liebig card, not so much because I like specifically Liebig but because they are representative of a whole genre of Chromolithographs.  The one I would choose is from a set showing women in bird costumes, specifically the "COLIBRI GRENAT".  I chose that because I initially couldn't find it in my catalogue.  When I finally found it, it was listed as a "COUBRA GRENA".  I pointed out the error to the publisher who checked their records and found the error had been present in the very first catalogue from 18 hundred and something and I was apparently the first person to notice it.  (They promised me a free catalogue when it was republished, but I'm still waiting). 

Secondly I would choose a card from the Kosmos set "Frauen, Schönheit und Anmut".  These are colourful, large-sized cards and something special among the large number of filmstar cards issued in Germany in the 1930s.  Specifically I would choose Group 1, card 19 showing Lilian Harvey and Willy Fritsch.  They were a famous film pair who appeared together in many UFA films of the 1930s.  For me they are symbolic not only of cigarette cards but also of the Babelsberg film studios which produced so many classic films.

As for my third card, I would choose something more modern, a 1960s bubble gum card to remind me of the happy days of my youth.  There are many to choose from so as something symbolic of an era I'll choose card 7 from Anglo's Yellow Submarine depicting Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I can't remember what I paid for them but none of them are very expensive.  The Yellow Submarine card I collected new for the price of a packet of bubble gum.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:55:37 PM by IanSammel »
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Here are the cards:
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe