November 19, 2017, 07:51:06 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: 101 cards to own before you die  (Read 52535 times)

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
Re: 101 cards to own before you die
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 03:57:51 PM »
ok so time for an update.

in no particular order

1. The Somme, My Weekly silk (pic in gallery)
2. Space Shuttle card 46 Brooke Bond Race into space
3. Wild White/Prk Cattle card 3 Brooke Bond British wildlife
4.King Cup card 45 Gallagher Wild flowers
5. Kidnapped card 8 Thriller chewing gum
6. Adipose computer card 1013 Dr Who battles in time
7.John Travers Cornwell VC card 166 Gallaghers VC heros (pic in gallery)
8.The Frightful Cost of War card 280 The Horrors of War
9. The Raven card 1 Brooke Bond Bird portraits
10.Colibri Grenat LIEBIG women in bird costumes
11. Frauen Schönheit und Anmut Kosmos Dresden
12. Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band card 7 Anglo Yellow submarine.

ok we are up to 12. I hope I have the info you have supplied correct if not can you PM me please and I will make any adjustments.

Where I know there are pics in the gallery i have said so again if you have uploaded a pic into the gallery let me know I will add the info.

You are all most welcome to add pics to the choices you make, it does make the thread more interesting for lurkers, or new comers to the forum. Please feel free to add regardless of how long you have been a member or collector. We need your input to get to 101.

Thanks to those of you who have posted so far i will give credits when I compile the final list.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:29:26 PM by IanSammel »

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 06:15:54 PM »
I took a few days to think about this one and there are three cards that I couldn't do without in my collection. Each one has its own significance to me but I think they're all from classic sets that I'd recommend to any collector. There are loads I'd have liked to include (Wills Air Raid Precautions, CWS Parrot Series, Wills Double Meaning and Copes Pigeons to name a few!). The top three are as follows:

1. Gallaher's (1939) 'Trains of the World' - No.7- The Torbay Express. The first card I ever bought and from a brilliant set. Even if you don't collect transport I don't think a collection is complete without a set of these.
2.  Ogdens (1931) 'Racing Pigeons' - I bought a set when I was 16, having looked after a friend's loft for 2 weeks. My favourite bird in loft was a lovely pied hen and so card number 46 'White Hope' had to be the choice from that set.
3. Harvey & Davy's (1905) 'Birds and Eggs' - I know the pictures are the same as the later L&B set but the design of the back is stunning and being the earliest issue of what is my all time favourite set of birds - this had to be included. I've chosen the Barn Owl, it has it all for me does this one - the clean white background, the excellent drawing, the period font for the caption and the way the eggs are offset to one side and given a shadow... Love them.

I have to say that this is a great idea Wolfie and even though I love every card in my collection it was nice to have an excuse to sit back and reflect.

Sam
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:30:24 PM by Cedric1812 »
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:49:19 PM »
Okay was a hard choice but for No 2 of 101 cards to own before you die Churchmans Wild Animals of The World 1907 the very first card i got of this set The Sable my reason just the wonderfull colours in the early cards and the way the pricture stands out Artwork outstanding and my all time favourite animal set bar none Cost £3 at a fair

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:41 PM »
the third and last card i choose, for 101 cards to get, is the players 'wild birds;, no 32
all of the three sets are easily obtainable for around £10 or less.
what i find so distinctive, is the blood red  against the white snow.
there are many sets that have the robin, but of all the cards, this seems the most realistic portrait of all.
a very seasonal and almost victorian in appearance, yet issued 1932.
you can almost feel the cold and sit back indoors with a glass of whisky, or drambuie in my case.
these cards were taken from real photographs, but repainted to a high degree of accuracy.
the three cards are ones that seem to stick out more in my mind, yet i could choose many more for different reasons that have an appeal to me, and could have made up the 101 cards to get myself.
my three cards are now in the gallery to view, thanks to my daughter coming round today,

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »
wolfie, i think the topic of 101 cards to get before you die, was great and i expected that this would have been finished in record time.
during the easter weekend, this forum had the second highest number of v iewers, so i thought many would be putting their list down.
however, i cannot see you fullfilling this quest now due to the lack of response.
this forum is only kept going by around a dozen memmbers, despit the growing membership it has got, since i joined a year ago.
i have many ideas and plans for debates i would like to raise at a further date, yet the lack of responses makes me feel like'why should i try'
i have tried to goad members or make them angry to try to make them respond.
i have been told that int may make memb ers go away to make another forum like this where they are not goaded into making i reply such as i have attempted.
so i have decided that if that is the case, i will leave it up to tha many that don't, make contributions, and this will be my last message.
hope your collecting of  militaria and space cards grows, and enjoy your cards as much as i do with mine.

exdrummer

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
1 of my choices as an avid cricket collector would be the cricket subject from Buchners Morning Glory Maidens, which features a girl in cricket kit. My main reason for listing though is to appeal to fossil to have second thoughts, this site would be poorer for your absence.  :'( I don't often post, so my appeal to you has taken a bit of effort. Whilst understanding your frustration (I had the same for a post I started about displaying guinea golds), your posts, comments to others posts and assistance on subjects that you have knowledge about would be sorely missed. Please reconsider.

Steve F

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »
OK only nominate a few cards - the task couldn't be harder, but they are from my preferred collecting theme - the wonderful game of cricket. My best few cards (not the rarest - IMO the best) would be...

1. 1902 Ogden's TAB's 'B Series' - #122 depicting the magnificent Melbourne Cricket Ground - the base of many of the greatest matches in my lifetime
2. 1935 John Mackintosh & Sons Ltd. - South African Cricketers #15 H.B. Cameron which has the added poignancy of the black border on the reverse side of the card signifying the passing of Bert Cameron in November 1935
3. 1938 African Tobacco Manufacturers - World of Sport #40 which depicts the Bodyline great and England express bowler Harold Larwood sending one down with his Test Cap still on!
4. 1949 Victorian Nut Supplies Ltd. - #1 Don Bradman - a magnificent caricature with W.G. Grace in the background doffing his cap to "The Master batsman of them all" as captioned by Mirams - the cartoonist - he could not have captured the Don's career any better

Great topic and surely one certain to generate some debate... 8)

wolfie

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2013, 10:49:23 AM »
Well we are up to 22 now and still adding each day.

Fossil I dont know if you have left already or not, but the forum would be poorer for your loss. Will PM you and hope your still around.

I never did see this as being finished quickly, the idea was to encourage us all to think about our collection and if posed the question which cards would you say were the best of your collection and not best in the world which you would pick. What I have found interesting is that most the cards are not expensive and are by and large from easily obtainable sets. Even those that arent can be found easily and are still obtainable for a reasonable price. Speaking for myself I have purchased a couple of sets I wouldnt have normally have considered and am looking forward to them coming to see if I agree with the posters   ;)

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
having been involved in pigeon raceing for as long as i can remember
ogdens raceing pigeons card 42. the old toulet clock.or cheaters clock. you would be lucky to time one pigeon in 20 seconds. to todays modern ets were you can time 20 pigeons in one second.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2013, 07:47:34 PM »
Okay my 3rd Choice and had to be a Newcastle Card i could choose many older and rarer and spoilt for choice with A &BC Gum but this one  is a  modern card from a Set entitled Footy Star issued by Philip Neill in 2008 so it would be clasified as a commercial trde card The reason is that it will be probably the only card i will also have the original artwork for ,   signed by the artist for It is for me a great peice of artwork and Ivor Broadis having met the man and enjoyed a chat with means all the more from a footballer of Newcastle United of the 50,s I have put card up as i cant seem to get the A4 orignal artwork on here as it comes up as pdf file

PDF file of artwork here its the gallery it wont let me post too
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:57:11 PM by magpiemick »

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 06:35:22 PM »
Still thinking in fact thought of a few more I may nominate.

Fossil - you may be right in what you say but have enjoyed both reading your contribution and responding. Quality is better than quantity and you are part of that quality. Please reconsider.
David
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

wolfie

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 07:15:49 PM »
Nothing stopping you from adding more David, picking 3 was just a starting number to make us collectors think about our cards iin a different light. So if you want to nominate a few more go ahead and do so.

wolfie

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 08:01:06 PM »
Well after a great deal of thought I have decided on number 3 and it is...

from Britains part in the war by Wills card 11 a tribute to the Minesweepers and RNR work. The depiction of 2 men on the bridge of a minesweeper scanning the cold waves of the North sea trying to protect the shipping lanes. The picture for me captures the cold wet work that these ships and men undertook. A total contrast to the my weekly cards that show sunny skies.

ridgeback

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
I like the Players Polar Exploration cards...I find them to be very interesting,well drawn,and they remind me of a time when exploration of that type was really rather dangerous.

I particularly like card 16 of the first series depicting three members of Shackletons expedition at the South Pole..with the union flag flying in the background..

All very British !

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:52:00 AM by ridgeback »

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2013, 10:07:47 PM »
If we are allowed more than 3 then I have to add Ogdens 'Flags and Funnels of Leading Steamship lines'. I love the look of this early set and it just represents a time when overseas trade/travel didn't rely as much on aeroplanes! Of course the card in the set I have chosen is the White Star Line as it was issued in 1906 and so before one of the greatest tragedies of the 20th Century prior to the Great War.

Incidentally it says on the back that at the time they had a 21000 ton vessel called Cedric! 
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Who's online

17 Guests, 0 Users