Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: 101 cards to own before you die  (Read 69633 times)

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
Re: 101 cards to own before you die
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
next along is from the Churchman set of Air-raid precautions card #44 Balloon Barrage for London.
there are many fine cards in this set and its hard to pick just one, but this for me shows the desperation of the situation. how all we had was some balloons to try and stop the bombers. Mice against Lions. in the words of Dr Who?

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2013, 10:48:13 PM »
i think i would like to make a comment on the last two posts.
with the birds and their young, as with the wild birds, boyh issued by players, and with several other natural history card sets during the 1930's.
these pictures were not actually drawn as such, but taken from real photographs, but enhanced by artists, so they seem to portray the birfds, or other fauna, more accurate than an artists own painting, or even copied from a painting.
also the air raids precautions set, issued by different cigarette companies, were made before war was even declared (1938 being earliest dates of issue). desperation is what wolfie mentions, yet despite that it is often stated that we were ill prepared for war, our defences against bombing was better prepared than germany at the time.
after all it was goering that boasted that no bombs would drop on berlin.
our aerial defences , which included the barrage balloons, also anti aircraft guns and fire brigades, national and auxillary, was  geared up and prepared for.
yes, germany did have anti aircraft guns, but did not plan for a bombing campaign, and the royal air force itself, did over fly germany, dropping proaganda leaflets, that did shake up the germans, as they did not expect any aircraft to really invade their air space.
britain was more like a sleeping lion, did not cherish the thought of war, but after finally awakening showed its true colours eventually.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2013, 09:05:00 AM »
There is a German Air Raid Precautions set as well.  When I look at the English and German sets I realise just how little people realised what a war would be like.  They are obviously based on the experiences of WW1 where a lot of poisonous gas was used.  The cards illustrate things like how to gas-proof your house, how to wear a gas mask, etc.  all of which turned out to be largely unnecessary.  Putting out an incendiary bomb with a stirrup pump looks like a useful thing to be able to do right up until the moment when you get hit by a thousand bomber raid.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

fossil

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »
the german 88mm anti aircraft gun, and its several variants, was one of the most formidable weapons of the second world war, and with its whheels kept on, was a superb anti tank gun.
my father told me of the fear amongst the armoured vehicle troops of the british army, during the desrt war, as it knocked out many british tanks.

what was the date of issue of the german air raids precautions set ?
was it pre, or during the war ?

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2013, 11:45:24 AM »
what was the date of issue of the german air raids precautions set ?
was it pre, or during the war ?
My catalogue lists it as 1940.  It was issued by the "Apotheken" (chemists or whatever they are called nowadays) so presumably they thought that's how they would reach most people.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

fossil

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2013, 12:29:14 PM »
1940 !, so after they decided they were not invulnerable.
not  to belitle the them, after all, no other country in the world, has gone from being a bankrupt country, to a world power within twelve years.

p.s.

sorry wolfie, didn't intend to hijack your theme of 101 cards to get, so lets continue with the original topic

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
My three choices are:

1. 1965 A&BC Gum Civil war news No 19 Pushed to his doom. It was hard to choose a card from this iconic set,I could have picked all my three from it.
I loved the gruesome artwork from this set when I collected these cards aged 10

2. 1966 Somportex Gum Film scenes James Bond 007  No 45 Margaret Nolan in Goldfinger. I thought we needed a bit of glamour  ;D

3. 1925 Sanders Bros (custard) Birds,Fowls,Pigeons & Rabbits No 20 Goldfinch
I purchased this set about 30 years ago.I love the artwork.I have chosen the Goldfinch as this takes me back to when I was around 6 or 7 years old. My father found a Goldfinch with an injured foot,it wouldn't have survived in the wild. He used to sit in a cage and had such a beautiful song.
The set only cost £10 back then. Not very easy too find

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:10:32 PM by Captain Pugwash »

wolfie

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2013, 08:20:13 AM »
No problem Fossil, the discussions on the cards is A: informative and B: what the post was set up for. I didnt know about real pics being used in the Birds and their young, nor that there was a German set on Air Raid precautions. That and the other stuff revealed on this post has opened my eyes to the knowledge base we have on here and to cards I would never have considered.

So come on Fossil time to add to the base of knowledge again.

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2013, 08:47:25 AM »
Congrats to Wolfie i cant see this topic being beaten by amount of views however to get to 101 which is the point for Wolfies plans ( to be revealed ) and also  it may entice members to get a type card or even set on what they have seen so far we best push the boat out and get going past the 50 mark So being generous here are another 3 i think merit inclusion

1 Phillip Allman Pin Up girls 1st series issued in 1953 this card allways seems to remind be of the motifs/artwork on the side of the bombers which was popular with the USAF also the 50,s trade american calendars and this being a more modern set from 1953 i wish it could have been done with earlier printing process as it would look even more stunning And a bit of glamour on here akin to the good Captain Cost of card £2

2 Wills Scissors Sporting Girls 1913 Skiing , i have previously posted that this was one of my personal must get sets and and it was this card that set me off just a wonderful coloured artistic card that would enhance any collection cost of card £4.50

3 Typhoo Tea Ltd Premium Issue Famous Football Clubs 1964  Of course being Magpie Mick and a little tribute to the originator of this topic Wolfie Reason for this card obvious but how many of us wish that when younger we didnt do what every kid did and put drawing pins or blu tack and on the bedroom wall they go , i was very pleased to get this card in a excellent condition and it included the rosette which came with card Cost i probably paid a bit over the cat price but for me £15 was a good deal for a card in the condition and a great add to my collection Card posted in gallery since it is deemed a cultural treasure
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 09:25:38 AM by magpiemick »

fossil

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »
wolfie, i like the picture of churchmans 'britains part in the war'
beside the atlantic star medal, after about seventy years, they have decided to issue a new 'star' medal
the artic convoy star.
probably a bit too late for many of the men involved

wolfie

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
yes thats true, i remember a piece on the local news about it. like lots of arms of service that get overlooked. without those men braving cold seas we may have been in a whole lot of trouble.

fossil

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2013, 10:15:11 PM »
hey guys, lets keep this one going, still need more members to add to list.
if new questions are are posted, this goes lower down the list and forgotten,
got to keep posting so this stays at top of the list to enable it to be finished

wolfie

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 03:52:28 PM »
11 More to be added this weekend, unless more are added. I think that puts the total up to 38.

When we reach 50+ I shall reveal my master plan for this post. So come on folk lets get adding to this thread. The more the merrier and the quicker the master paln is revealed. until then its  :-X from me.

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 09:04:21 AM »
Come on people get adding some more i cant keep hogging this thread with cards lets get some more up Newbies especially ,  Fossil Capt Cedric put a couple more on hey At lest this post will go back to top of list if anything

up the cherries!

• Up the cherries!
  • Modern trade, Real Photographic, BAT
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 12:05:43 PM »
Hi everyone, just want to say what a great topic this is, and it just highlights the varied topics that are available to card collectors, however deep their pockets are. A good set doesn't have to be expensive.
I would like to add the Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic card from the Daily Mirror set of Star Soccer Cards, issued in 1971. I like this card for no other reason than it shows my club, AFC Bournemouth, and cards featuring them are few and far between. Living in the lower leagues for most of their history ( reached the old Div.1 in the early 90's for two seasons, but that was it ), we aren't as popular to card producers as the 'big boys' are. Apparently we were once voted the fans most popular second choice team though.

Who's online

20 Guests, 0 Users