Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Photographers recreate ‘Irish View Scenery’ cards by Gallaher  (Read 2685 times)

admin

• Administrator
A project has been setup to recreate the views of Irish scenery shown in the sets of cigarette cards issued by Gallaher Ltd in 1908 and 1910. The sets run to 600 cards in total so it’s a fairly mammoth task.

Members of the Photography Ireland forum decided to recreate the views shown on the cards because of the quality of the photography and the social history contained within them. The project aims to show how Ireland has changed over the last century.

Many of the photographs in the original cards were taken by renowned photographers such as Robert John Welch (who became the official photographer for Harland and Wolf, the ‘Titanic’ shipyard) and Robert French who produced over 30,000 views of Ireland which now form part of the Lawrence Collection, a digital archive which resides at the National Library of Ireland.

A database of the original Gallaher cards has been setup which you can view here:
http://www.andymcinroy.com/gallaher2/galindex.htm

(Scan below by Andy McInroy)

Alex

Re: Photographers recreate ‘Irish View Scenery’ cards by Gallaher
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:30 AM »
That is a mammoth task, I tried that with local Post Cards a few years ago in my home Town of Mildenhall in Suffolk but because most of the interesting views were around the Church and Market Place modern traffic made it nearly impossible.
Here is an example of one of my Then & Now cards.

Locksmith

Re: Photographers recreate ‘Irish View Scenery’ cards by Gallaher
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:49:13 PM »
That looks like a nice place to live, Alex. It's an interesting project. It's always illuminating to see how towns have changed over the years.

Who's online

19 Guests, 0 Users