August 23, 2014, 02:33:25 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Author Topic: Barratts Sweet Cigarettes  (Read 1016 times)

TheHoarder

Barratts Sweet Cigarettes
« on: July 27, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

Spilled over from another thread..........

Does anyone have a set of the Disney "Living Desert" series of cards from these packets?

Mariner tony

Re: Barratts Sweet Cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 08:12:08 PM »
I have the Barratt Disneyland 'True Life' set which may be the one you are referring to. It is a 60 card medium size set of still photos of wild animals.
Unfortunately I do not have the ability to upload a picture for you to examine. On a personal level my favourite Barratt sets are The Secret Service and Captain Scarlett from a slightly later period.

TheHoarder

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 09:13:19 AM »
I have the Barratt Disneyland 'True Life' set which may be the one you are referring to. It is a 60 card medium size set of still photos of wild animals.
Unfortunately I do not have the ability to upload a picture for you to examine. On a personal level my favourite Barratt sets are The Secret Service and Captain Scarlett from a slightly later period.

Umm, thank you for that  :) - I will have dig out my part set that I collected as a young sprog to see if we are talking about the same set. The original film was called Living Desert and I assumed that as the cards were from the film, they were titled the same.

What size are they?

Mark Edwards

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:19:29 AM »
morning all ,

just like soup the plot thickens .

Mark Edwards

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »
Hoarder , don't worry your not losing your marbles , i believe crossed lines might be the problem .

there is/was a set released titled ' living desert ' issued by Nabisco in 1959 .

TheHoarder

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:42:16 AM »
Hoarder , don't worry your not losing your marbles , i believe crossed lines might be the problem .

there is/was a set released titled ' living desert ' issued by Nabisco in 1959 .

Thanks for that Dant, however, the date would be wrong for me as I would have been about 5 years younger (1953/54) when I collected what I have, and will dig out now I am on school holidays.

They were def. Barratts, or was that company owned by Nabisco?

In the meantime, I have found this one for sale on eBay (an identical pair for 1) of No.55 'Old Stagger'. The format and type look correct.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:44:51 AM by TheHoarder »

Mariner tony

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 01:01:52 PM »
The picture you have posted is indeed the Barratt 'True Life' set (1956) which I thought may be the one you were referring too.
The trade card index code is BAR-68 and they measure 64x64 and are a numbered series of 60 cards. I hope that helps.

TheHoarder

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
The picture you have posted is indeed the Barratt 'True Life' set (1956) which I thought may be the one you were referring too.
The trade card index code is BAR-68 and they measure 64x64 and are a numbered series of 60 cards. I hope that helps.

Thanks for that Mariner - It seems what Barratts did was to combine the two Disney films The Living Desert (1953) and The Vanishing Prairie (1954), both of which I went to see at the cinema at the time with me Dad (very similar "wild life docs." - with a lot of inaccuracies!! David Attenborough they ain't!) Into one series of cards titled er, umm......."True Life".  :-\

Now all we have to do is to somehow get you up and running in posting your cards on the site!   ;) If only to save me having to haul through the boxes and boxes of stuff I have hoarded over the last 50 years to find my part set!!  ;D

Mark Edwards

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:29:56 PM »
Mariner , many thanks for the explanation , appreciated .

Hoarder , don't go stirring up the dust it taken a long time to settle so let it be .
I'm sure we'll encounter images from the cards / sets in some form or another on here or some other place .

Cheers guys .

Mariner tony

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 07:42:10 AM »
Lot 85 of the August LCCC auction may be of interest to Hoarder.

TheHoarder

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 08:58:49 AM »

Thanks for that Mariner, but I'm quite happy with my part set I collected originally and that I can stare at and drift off into misty nostalgia!  ::)

Ahh, now had a look and it is only an empty packet and from 1962...............my "set" is earlier.

Who's online

12 Guests, 0 Users