Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: 1917 "Sports of the World" Wills/BAT/etc.  (Read 4885 times)

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
1917 "Sports of the World" Wills/BAT/etc.
« on: February 09, 2014, 07:05:48 PM »
I am new to the Forum, though I've been a member of CSGB for nearly 30 years.

I was wondering if anyone has access to a complete checklist, or knows where on the web one might be found?

The only ones I know are:

3.  Salmon Fishing
13.  Croquet
17.  Emu Hunting
26.  Baseball
41.  Cricket
42.  Rugby Football
47.  Golfing

?.  Cricket
?.  Ski-ing
?.  Boomerang Throwing
?.  Javelin Throwing
?.  Wrestling

Mariner tony

Re: 1917 "Sports of the World" Wills/BAT/etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:04 PM »
Just a welcome to the forum from me Alan.
Not my area at all. However, their are many knowledgable characters on here who, I'm sure, will be able to help!

Steve F

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 04:14:58 AM »
Alan,

You need to be more specific as to which set because, although the subject matters were the same, the numbers differed between issuers - Wills (UK) and (Aust.) in Coloured & 2 Colour format and BAT in Coloured & 2 Colour format. Additionally the pesky Aussies produced them with gold overprint (Covering the Will's details) and then with & without Village Maid logo and they were also produced by the Australian Trade firm MacRobertson's who branded the reverse and converted the card to a 1/2d Sports issue.

I have 48/50 MacRobertson's cards (2 Colour - cream & black), the Wills (UK) issue of the Cricket card, the BAT issue of the Cricket card and the Village Maid issue of the Cricket card.

The MacRobertson cricket card is #41 and the numbering for these differs to that recorded in the CSGB Wills Issues 'Red Book' from Oct 1950, with the Will's (UK) Cricket Card #10 while the Will's (Aust.) Cricket card is #32 as is the Village Maid issue of the Cricket card (Multi coloured), as is the non Village Maid, Gold overprinted card. The BAT Cards are of course anonymous on the reverse and thus tend to be recorded alphabetically by subject in most lists I've seen.

This is probably confusing but suffice to say you need to specify the actual set you are referring to, before the numbering can be sorted.

Happy to assist where else I can.

Cheers,

Steve F. (One of those pesky Aussies)

I hope this makes some sense

Alan

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:42:24 AM »
Hi Steve,

Phew!!!

I didn't realise there were so many variations. I think it would be good to complete one checklist, probably MacRobertsons, that would then be a start. I presume that the cards I listed come from various versions of the sets that were issued.

Am I right in assuming the following versions exist:

Wills (UK) - Coloured
Wills (Australia) - 2 Coloured
BAT - Coloured
BAT - 2 Coloured
Village Maid (Anonymous) - Gold overprint - Coloured or 2 Coloured
Village Maid - Gold overprint - Coloured or 2 Coloured
MacRobertsons - 2 Coloured

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Steve F

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 06:20:35 AM »
Alan,

Here goes - corrections (as far as I know)...

Wills (UK) - Coloured
Wills (Australia) - Coloured
BAT (Anonymous) - Coloured
BAT (Anonymous) - 2 Coloured
Gold overprint - Coloured with Village Maid
Gold overprint - Coloured without Village Maid
MacRobertson's - 2 Coloured

The MacRobertson Series (Numbered in order) is 1 Salmon Fishing, 2 Whale Hunting, 3 Wild Boar Hunting, 4 Polo, 5 Kangaroo Hunting, 6 Fox Hunting, 7 Punting, 8 Tent Pegging, 9 Alligator Shooting, 10 Rowing, 11 Hippopotamus Hunting, 12 Lion Hunting, 13 Sculling, 14 Rabbit Snaring, 15 Big Game Hunting Cheetah, 16 Emu Hunting, 17 Yachting, 18 Fishing, 19 Chamois Hunting, 20 Elephant Hunting, 21 Baseball, 22 Bison Hunting, 23 Bear Hunting, 24 Boomerang Throwing, 25 Croquet, 26 Flying, 27 Wood Chopping, 28 Golfing, 29 Tossing the Caber, 30 Bowling, 31 Rugby Football, 32 Skiing, 33 Fencing, 34 Swimming, 35 Throwing the Discus, 36 Lawn Tennis, 37 Skating, 38 Wrestling, 39 High Diving, 40 Throwing the Javelin, 41 Cricket, 42 Hockey, 43 Tug-of-War, 44 Water Polo, 45 Throwing the Hammer, 46 Lacrosse, 47 Coaching, 48 Tiger Hunting, 49 Motor Racing and 50 Surf Boating.

Hope this helps 

Alan

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 06:42:43 AM »
Hi Steve,

That's absolutely brilliant, I couldn't have asked for more. Thank you ever so much for your help.

I wonder when we'll see Tent-Pegging and Hippopotamus Hunting in the Olympics!

Alan

exdrummer

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:58:48 AM »
Welcome, and glad you got the help required. The Wills reference book states that it is believed this set to be 1 of the last sets issued before cards were discontinued in WW1 to save paper, and this accounts for its relative scarcity.

Steve F

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:02:49 PM »
Oh for Hippo Hunting in the Olympics - would make for an interesting sport if guns weren't allowed as well!!!

As for the other cards - I've got some additional Village Maid & Will's (UK) numbers from other series cards in my collection, so this may help place the appropriate number series with the issuers of the cards if ever you come across any other references for the Wills, BAT or Village Maid issues.

Village Maid (Coloured) and probably Wills (Coloured) - #3 Salmon Fishing, #10 Rugby Football, #12 Kangaroo Hunting, #16 Tiger Hunting, #32 Cricket, #45 Wood Chopping & #48 Bowling

I don't generally collect non Cricket Cards but as these series have a cricket themed card in them, I've hung onto the VG+ ones that I've acquired over the journey and one day might focus on getting stuck into them. I was offered 40 of the MacRobertson's at once a few years ago and have added the other 8 since with only Kangaroo Hunting & Boomerang Throwing missing to complete the set.

Alan

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:07:11 PM »
@ Steve F

Thanks for the additional information, every little helps.

Alan

Steve F

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 07:06:05 AM »
Alan - More on the Coloured Front Series with/without the Gold Village Maid overprinted reverse and I suspect the Wills (UK) Issues, though because I have only the Cricket subject - I can't confirm this...

1 Bear Hunting, 3 Salmon Fishing, 4 Coaching, 5 Motor Racing, 6 Lion Hunting, 7 Hippo Hunting, 8 Alligator Shooting, 9 Tent Pegging, 10 Punting, 12 Kangaroo Hunting, 13 Whale Hunting, 15 Bowling, 16 Tiger Hunting, 17 Emu Hunting, 18 Big Game Hunting with Cheetah, 19 Rabbit Snaring, 20 Sculling, 21 Elephant Hunting, 22 Wild Boar Hunting, 23 Chamois Hunting, 25 Yachting, 26 Baseball, 27 Lacrosse, 28 Hammer Throwing, 29 Water Polo, 30 Tug of War, 31 Hockey, 32 Cricket, 33 Javelin Throwing, 34 High Diving, 35 Wrestling, 36 Skating, 38 Discus Throwing, 39 Swimming, 41 Skiing, 42 Rugby Football, 43 Croquet, 44 Boomerang Throw, 45 Wood Chopping, 46 Flying & 48 Bowls.

The missing numbers (i.e. subjects unknown to me) are 2, 11, 14, 24, 37, 40, 47, 49 & 50 and will be associated with the following subjects - Bison Hunting, Fencing, Fishing, Fox Hunting, Golfing, Lawn Tennis, Polo, Rowing, Surf Bathing & Tossing the Caber

Cheers,

Steve   

Alan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
Hi Steve

Thank you very much for the additional listing, I didn't expect to get any more details. It's very kind of you. I'll be keeping an eye out for those missing numbers and if I come across any information I'll add it here.

Thanks again,

Alan

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »
Alan,

Not sure if you have found the missing subjects since this was posted last year but I've just been able to identify the remaining missing subjects and tie them to their numbers as I've managed to pick up the remaining cards to complete the Wills Coloured Set of the Sports of the World (c1917)...

#2 Bison Hunting, 11 Fox Hunting, 14 Polo, 24 Fishing, 37 Lawn Tennis, 40 Fencing, 47 Golfing, 49 Tossing the Caber & 50 Surf Bathing

Now got the 1917 Wills Issue (50) and the MacRobertson Issue (50) complete, and almost finished the Village Maids (40/50) but a long way to go for the 'Plain' non Village Maids (3/50) & the BAT Issues (11/50) - so still a bit to do

Cheers,

Steve F.
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

Alan

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 04:00:26 PM »
Alan,

Not sure if you have found the missing subjects since this was posted last year but I've just been able to identify the remaining missing subjects and tie them to their numbers as I've managed to pick up the remaining cards to complete the Wills Coloured Set of the Sports of the World (c1917)...

#2 Bison Hunting, 11 Fox Hunting, 14 Polo, 24 Fishing, 37 Lawn Tennis, 40 Fencing, 47 Golfing, 49 Tossing the Caber & 50 Surf Bathing

Now got the 1917 Wills Issue (50) and the MacRobertson Issue (50) complete, and almost finished the Village Maids (40/50) but a long way to go for the 'Plain' non Village Maids (3/50) & the BAT Issues (11/50) - so still a bit to do

Cheers,

Steve F.

Hi Steve

Thanks for remembering about my request. That's a great help... I'm always chuffed when I get a completed checklist.

Alan

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 04:18:30 PM »
Chuffed.  Great word that.  One of my favourites.
UtS!

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 11:19:26 PM »
Yep likewise - chuffed a great word...

In this game however, it runs a distant second to 'completed'...

I just wish I could use both more often!!!
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

Who's online

19 Guests, 0 Users