Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: 'Cancelled' - Card Back Stamp Query  (Read 2936 times)

Jediknight

'Cancelled' - Card Back Stamp Query
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
Orders Of Chivalry - Societe Job (J. Bardou & Co.) - issued 1924

I recently purchased an album of cards from an auction house that included a complete set (25 cards) of the above titled cards.

This set was not the reason for my purchase but does have me intrigued. The back of all 25 cards have been stamped ‘Cancelled’.

I’ve never encountered a single card from this set prior to my purchase but a quick ebay search shows odd cards from the set both with and without the ‘Cancelled’ stamp.

I’m hoping someone can enlighten me as to why and when the cards would be stamped as such? Does anybody else have these particular cards – if so with or without the stamp? Or have you seen cards from other sets stamped ‘Cancelled’?   

PeterCS

Re: 'Cancelled' - Card Back Stamp Query
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
I can't solve your puzzler, JK. It does seem quite mysterious.

The mark is exactly like what you might find in ex-library books. I would have hazarded a guess that these cards once belonged in a public or official collection - or else, say, Debrett's library, if there is/was one! - and then sold on (the stamp thus confirming that they were legiimately released from public or official administrative ownership, not stolen).

Except your quick research suggests there are too many of these to come from one such source!

Which means I am back at zero. (See first line.) ~ Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can help! :)

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:25 PM »
I don't know about these particular ones, but it was common in Germany to be able to exchange cards for gifts.  Some cards had vouchers attached which you could cut off.  However with other cards you collected a set and sent them off to the issuer who sent you your gift and returned the cards to you.  So that you couldn't use them again, they were marked in some way such as a rubber stamp.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
Before collecting the Ogdens I collected the Lambert & Butler cards and found a similar instance with the cards from the set "London Zoo" having a large letter "C' stamped on the back. After some investigation found that their was a promotion with regard to these cards. If you went to London Zoo with these cards you showed or handed however many in,  you gained free admittance. In order that the cards were not reused they were stamped with this letter to show that this particular card was no longer valid as it had already been used.

So I would presume that these cards were involved in some sort of promotion, perhaps a museum but would expect in some way related to the subject of the cards.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Jediknight

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
Many thanks for all your thoughts/information.

I have seen certain sets (eg. Pinnace Footballers/Cricketers) where you send in a designated number of cards in exchange for a Cabinet photo of a particular player and other sets where you send cards in exchange for a gift. I’d always assumed that the cards you sent off were in exchange for the gift/item in question.  I hadn’t realized that you also got the original cards returned. If that was the case then stamping them to prevent them being reused makes sense.

I do like the London Zoo scenario where you could collect cards on the subject and then gain free entry to the venue itself. I wonder if that style of promotion was widely used back then. It would have been a great way to learn – glean all the info from the cig card pictures/text and then gain free access to a particular exhibit/museum for a more in depth look at the subject!   

PeterCS

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 12:32:47 PM »
Just a wild punt, JK, but perhaps you could gain free or reduced access to something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Exhibition

Or ...? (but was there public access to this?)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-pageant-of-chivalry-aka-monarchs-priests-people/query/camera

Jediknight

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 01:20:37 PM »
Just a wild punt, JK, but perhaps you could gain free or reduced access to something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire_Exhibition

Or ...? (but was there public access to this?)

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-pageant-of-chivalry-aka-monarchs-priests-people/query/camera

Quite possibly!

I would like to find out what they were indeed used/exchanged for but not sure how/where that information could be found.

@Ogdenscards
How/where did you find out about the London Zoo offer/promotion?

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
It is mentioned in the world index and also a conversation with Martin Murray.

This topic also got me thinking. Ogden's with their Guinea Golds promoted that if you purchased the album fill it with cards (slide in) they would give you a guinea and donate the cards to some hospital.

Well many cards are found with names stamped on the back always assumed to be collectors names of the past but perhaps also to do with showing card already used in some sort of promotion naming the participant.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 08:53:36 AM »
Similar 'Competition' cards here in Oz in the early 1920's...

McIntyre Bros Chocolates - although only the Cricket issue (15 red tartan cards) is known with the redemption cancellation on the reverse. There are two sets of Aussie Rules (both red tartan) and two different coloured sets of Actors & Actresses (Blue & Green tartan).

The Cricketers were redeemed for a large box of Chocolates, complete with a large almost A4 sized card depicting the victorious 1920/21 Test Captain - Warwick Armstrong (Attached) - it is an extremely rare card (if, given its size, you can call it that) with only a few known to exist...

I'll post other images in the Gallery
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

Who's online

32 Guests, 0 Users