Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: 'Up the Cartophilistines'  (Read 1250 times)

Cedric1812

• Birds, Early USA, Pokemon, UK Tobacco advertising
'Up the Cartophilistines'
« on: April 29, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »
Gentlemen,

I stumbled across this old Pathe film of Col. Bagnell sorting through some cigarette cards in 1937 and thought I would share it with you all. It sounds like one of the Western Brothers doing the voice over but perhaps that's just the 'up the cartophilistines' comment at the end reminding me of them singing 'play the game you cads'.

Some of the early albums they leaf through are amazing. I bet they were relatively cheap back then too compared with today's prices!

Cheers,
Sam

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cigarette-cards-issue-title-calling-all-cards
Always interested in buying rare bird cards and general reference material (books, magazines etc.)

Mariner tony

Re: 'Up the Cartophilistines'
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 06:10:06 PM »
That was a great find Sam!
I've always enjoyed reading about the founders of our hobby, and to see footage of the Colonel was a first for me.
I have a rather faded autograph of the Colonel on one of his reference books that means rather a lot to me.

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 06:28:21 PM »
Wow. So many cards! I wonder of they've got any pre war Barratt & Co cards, or postcard sized Brentford FC Pinnace cards, in those boxes? It was only up the road in Chiswick too! ;)

ALso watched the Jim Langley film too. But he's Fulham........ :(
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

exdrummer

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
Great find Sam, they only dealt in top quality cards as can be seen in the film. I'd love to get hold of some of those early cards in that condition, wonder what happened to them. Of course some were destroyed during the blitz.

PeterCS

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 07:40:44 PM »
Jolly good show!!

Continuing the Harry Enfield theme, there's precisely the basis for his Mr Cholmondeley-Warner. Except the puns are a bit better. I'm not sure what any American chancing on the Pathe' newsreel would make of the "fag" pun - "for Mr Bagnall, nothing is too much of a fag - in fact, he can't have too many fags". Or words to that effect.

The pun about "collecting actresses" is a bit risque' for the day - particularly bearing in mind the conventional euphemism of that same day. ("As the actress said to the bishop, ...")

@exdrummer.  The Blitz will have had something to do with it. But secondly, the newsreel is of Cartophily HQ, so to speak. Cigarette Card Central. Where the care was professional, studied and meticulous. Not a case, as now, of big companies hoovering up the stray cards that over succeeding years may have passed through various known or unknown sets of hands all around the land. Like dog pounds vanning stray dogs, whether young(ish) and well-ke(m)pt or dogeared and disreputable, for possible resale on, say, eBay.

And then, perhaps most important factor of all, ex-d: like some of us collectors (and all of us in the end), the cards are not getting any younger, y'know! Especially the vintage ones. That newsreel is 77 years closer to them than we are now. In fact, many of the cards in the Pathe' film would have been fairly fresh off the press in what you might call the culmination decade of cigarette card production, the 1930s. They are venerated artefacts now, which quite often bear the stretch marks of history! :D

Great find, Sam. I have found quite a lot of golden treasure cricket material on Pathe, so the site is not new to me. But the film is!

« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 07:45:34 PM by PeterCS »

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »
Enjoyed watching that , just imagine recording all those cards without a computer, quite a feat writing all those reference books.

Wonder what he was looking for at his desk.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Who's online

30 Guests, 0 Users