Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: "Sniping" - views?  (Read 5970 times)

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
Re: "Sniping" - views?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 04:24:09 PM »
I have used snipe occasionally. When items end and I am away from my computer or in the middle of the night.I don't have a mobile phone with internet connection (although we have an ipad which the wife seems to have sole access to for playing candy crush  ::) )

I leave a bid with 5 seconds remaining and have had no problems.
A very useful tool.

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 11:08:39 PM »
Very familiar with the process associated with 'sniping' despite being a 'eBayphobe' (PCS - I trust you have requested copyright or an addition to the Oxford Dictionary!)

In a part time capacity I catalogue one of the largest sporting card collections in Australia (It may also rank in terms of size in the world but 'one of the largest in the world' seems to be too grandiose a claim!)

However, with over 200 albums of predominantly Cricket & Australian Rules Football cards it is a significant collection.

Unfortunately for many other eBay bidders, my client chanced upon some 'sniper' software about a decade ago and he is relentlessly adding to his collection by placing huge amounts on his wanted lots. In the half a dozen years I have known him I have seen him 'snipe' over $1000 for lots that he knows are going to sell for less than $100 so he is certain to win them - in the time I've known him he has won over 10,000 lots on eBay

Despite this approach he has been beaten and is always happy when someone outbids him because he knows that the market supports all types and that this is a sign that the market is still healthy...   
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

PeterCS

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 12:31:25 AM »
(Maybe he's also secretly glad he's not driving himself entirely to distraction/ruin ...)

(With that sort of mania, it's even easier to comprehend your distaste for eBay - that way (not only price inflation, but also) madness lies.)

And yes, patent pending, and letter of intent obtained re: OED fee.

tygartygar

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:47 AM »
Very familiar with the process associated with 'sniping' despite being a 'eBayphobe' (PCS - I trust you have requested copyright or an addition to the Oxford Dictionary!)

In a part time capacity I catalogue one of the largest sporting card collections in Australia (It may also rank in terms of size in the world but 'one of the largest in the world' seems to be too grandiose a claim!)

However, with over 200 albums of predominantly Cricket & Australian Rules Football cards it is a significant collection.

Unfortunately for many other eBay bidders, my client chanced upon some 'sniper' software about a decade ago and he is relentlessly adding to his collection by placing huge amounts on his wanted lots. In the half a dozen years I have known him I have seen him 'snipe' over $1000 for lots that he knows are going to sell for less than $100 so he is certain to win them - in the time I've known him he has won over 10,000 lots on eBay

Despite this approach he has been beaten and is always happy when someone outbids him because he knows that the market supports all types and that this is a sign that the market is still healthy...   

Can only hope that a similarly resourced ebayer follows the same principle and that they bid each other to ruin ;)

Robin Friday

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
I can imagine some of the US big hitters on the baseball cards have had some battle royales trying to outbid one another ....it makes no difference to many as some seem to have a good supply of cash .
In the non sport world I believe the top Horrors of War (graded ) set sold for $million ....with sets of the 3 stooges also fetching great prices .

PeterCS

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 12:28:30 AM »
I wonder if we all understand the same thing by 'sniping' though?

One thing is automatic bidding - about which we may all have views, but surely few can morally object to in what are basically completely automated auctions?

Whereas a sharpened refinement of this tool is deliberately not bidding at all until the last +/- 8 seconds of an auction. By which time (because unlike in a "real" auction room, (a) there's no auctioneer to give other bidders a final chance, and (b) an eBay auction is always inflexibly ended at a preordained second in history - unlike "real" auctions), it's generally much too late for ordinary common non-snipers to muster a response.

Although the two things are by no means mutually exclusive, personally, I would only call the second practice a "snipe".

Anyway, seeing the card below made me smile.

I wonder if this old banger (sorry, I meant elegant classic car) could perhaps be pimped for devastating use on eBay?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 12:30:32 AM by PeterCS »

Cedric1812

• Birds, Early USA, Pokemon, UK Tobacco advertising
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:32 AM »
I buy cards on eBay regularly as well as via postal auctions and the bigger UK card auctions. I have to admit that sniping is the only way I'll bid on eBay unless I'm unable to be online at the end of an auction. I dont use software, just bid close to the end.

It used to frustrate me but I've simply had to because having entered a bid Ive seen many instances of there being around 15 tiny bids inside as many minutes to get ahead by a few pence. I know shill bidding is not allowed but I have seen it so many times and people I've met (not card collectors I must say) openly admit to asking friends chuck a few bids in to inflate the price. That's an entirely different issue though Ill admit!

If there is something I really want I have put an aggressive top end bid on but I would never risk putting a 1k bid on a card that'll sell for £100. All it takes is one more collector to have the same idea and you're then legally obliged to fork out! For some they may have a spare thousand to risk but it's a bold tactic!

Anyway, better get ready to visit my local car boot sale. See if I can do as well as Ridgeback! I don't have high expectations but something like a set of Mars Attacks (all PSA10) for a quid would be an ok deal I suppose...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:14:50 AM by Cedric1812 »
Always interested in buying rare bird cards and general reference material (books, magazines etc.)

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 08:46:53 AM »
Hi Cedric

Legally oblidged you say. Tell that to the 22 non payers I've had  >:(

Good luck at the car boot. I did pick up three mars attacks cards yesterday at our club meet, slightly more than £1 though  ;)

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2014, 09:11:14 AM »
Going back a bit now, but anybody on here remember the Alice Cooper Group? Still my all-time favourite band, especially since I've got to see Alice a few times recently as he's toured the UK.

ANYWAY ... A few years back Neal Smith - the drummer - auctioned off a mirror-ball with which the band had some connection or other; I can't quite remember what. To discourage 'snipers', Smith promised that the item would NOT 'go the distance' and would be 'pulled' and sold to the highest bidder at a time of Smith's choosing. This guaranteed that those people who wanted it were obliged to get their bids in and not wait until the last knockings.
And that's exactly what he did.
Cool, eh?

MT ;)

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
I don't know whether it's possible everywhere but there are ebay vultures out there who live from just such things.  Something to do with how from a legal point of view when someone bids there is a temporary contract between buyer and seller to trade the article for that price.  If someone bids a higher price then the first contract is annulled and replaced by a new one.  If the seller just stops the auction however then he's breaking the contract with the highest bidder and can be made to pay compensation. 
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2014, 04:13:47 PM »
Ah yes, Ian, but I would guess that if the auction details clearly state that the auction will be stopped, then anyone who bids is well aware of the 'rules' and would enter into the contract knowing full well what the outcome was going to be.

MT ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 04:41:59 PM by MansfieldTerrier »

PeterCS

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Good, fair, above-board business practice by Mr Smith, would be my view.

I never have a problem with a trader who is open about what s/he does and is fair to customers. (Even if I curse that I can't afford it!)

Robin Friday

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2014, 04:45:58 PM »
I was watching a near set of cards and 2 bids were put in with 3 seconds to go , I guess its just like sport , if you score at the end you usually end up a winner .

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
Last evening I was watching this item EBAY LINK.
In the last five seconds the price jumped over THREE HUNDRED POUNDS!

Sheesh! :o

MT ;)

PeterCS

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2014, 05:01:23 PM »
I was watching a near set of cards and 2 bids were put in with 3 seconds to go , I guess its just like sport , if you score at the end you usually end up a winner .

John Terry and Ryan Giggs couldn't agree more.

Who's online

26 Guests, 0 Users