Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: "Job lots" - and good experiences?  (Read 1056 times)

PeterCS

"Job lots" - and good experiences?
« on: June 11, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
WYSIWYG. The idea was around before the acronym (and computers). Put another way: you get what you pay for.

I suppose most of us - esp in a recession, esp in a consumer society - have an eye for a bargain.

Which makes us, if not careful, born yesterday.

Prone to putting goods displayed loosely in wire baskets at the end of a supermarket aisle in our trolley, assuming a bargain. (A word to the wise: those items are not usually reduced. It's a trick of the trade, to get shot of the company's overstock.)

Prone to falling for "20% off" bargains on eBay - designed to lure the unwary, since you can bet that price will come and go, and is likely to crop up again a week or two later at 30 or 40% off, when not set at (an anyway arbitrary) "full price". Trick of the trade.

"Job lots" look like an opportunity to build up a collection, or build up stock, cheaply.

The last word is the rub.

Okay, if you do spot a rare diamond among the rough (or more often, among the very, very rough), and it looks unlikely there is a hidden catch, go for it. Maybe the seller didn't see it, didn't realise that card is worth $50.

I think it's a fair bet in 99% of cases that he did.

And the main trick is that age-old one that used to be adopted with stamps sold by weight on paper - if you have anything above "used tram ticket status" to sell among the volume, put it on top and photograph it very prominently.

The funny thing is, the phrase "job lot" itself tends to be a guarantee of next-to-no value, I've found. Hint to sellers: if you want to get rid, don't call it a "job lot" :D Call it a "mixed collection", or "lucky bag", or ... anything but "job lot", which sends a message.

In case you are wondering, no, I haven't just bought a "job lot" of garbage! This is just a reflection on past experience. With a question attached::::::

Has anyone here, whether a casual collector (like myself), a serious collector, a collector/trader or pure businessman, had any good finds among what specifically has been called "a job lot"?

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
Re: "Job lots" - and good experiences?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:33:22 PM »
Not from eBay, but I did pick up some football cards at a bootsale and only wanted the NUFC ones but the seller wanted a couple of quid more for all of them so I paid fir the job lot realised that what I had was a complete set of match attax with all the extras le,s etc. So was dead happy. He must have rubbed his hands in glee thinking mug. Have to say I thought the same. ::)

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:55 PM »
From an earlier post I responded to - among the best "Job lot's" I've ever acquired...

I purchased a lot of about 60 Cricket cards, just over 12 months ago direct from the US. A contact of mine there, who knew I was interested in early cricket cards, made the seller an offer on my behalf after we discussed some of the cards available.

They had previously been listed as a BUY NOW Lot on eBay for US$200 and didn't sell!

My contact offered Australian $150 and the deal was done.

I found the original post that had been offered on eBay and realised there were two cards that looked like the very rare Scottish D. & J. McDonald cards (Issued c1902) and awaited their arrival with a heightened sense of expectation.

When I opened the parcel - my eyes hadn't deceived me; there were six McDonald cards, including two W.G. Grace cards!

Better still, one of the Grace cards was unprinted on the reverse side - I cannot find any reference to them whatsoever, being produced with Anonymous backs, but either way I had chanced upon six very rare cricket cards, one of which was possibly cut from a printers 'Proof' sheet making it even rarer - and all for A$150 which also included the postage charges!

Despite this success - I am always reminded by other Cricket card collecting mates, that the day I acquired 6 x 1934 Tasmanian Sugar Products cards for under $200, was also a good day!

So lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time I guess...
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

PeterCS

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »
An expert eye often helps! ;)

Who's online

19 Guests, 0 Users