Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: VCC - Sportsmen and Film Stars  (Read 2688 times)

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
VCC - Sportsmen and Film Stars
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:24:57 PM »
As there are some collectors concentrating on Film Stars I thought I'd include a link to my website which includes an incomplete list of V.C.C. cards from the series known as Sportsmen and Other Notabilities. The 'Other Notabilities' seem to be a sub-set of 24 Film Stars, people like Eugene O'Brien, Clara Young, Percy Marmont and Edith Day. I thought I'd include a link here in case anyone with an interest in Film Stars might not come across my blog relating to football cards and stickers.

http://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/vcc-sportsmen-and-other-notabilities-6.html

Please let me know if you can add any further information. Thanks.

Alan
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:40:19 PM by Alan »

Penno55

Re: VCC - Sportsmen and Film Stars
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:47:50 AM »
Hi Alan

I have a few of these and mine are all anonymous issues i.e. Plain back. I seem to have 2 versions of the Brentford player, Kerr, one with initial and one without. I also look to have a jockey but although the card looks the same it could be a different series ?

Do the VCC cards have a printed back do you know ?

Penno55

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Oh, dear! The proverbial can of worms opened here, Penno! :)

Yes, ALL VCC cards have a printed back; they are identified as such by the fact that they have 'VCC, Roman Road, London' printed on the back together with an offer if you collect all if the set.

Those issued by Poppletons sweets were usually stamped as such on the back, and the Barratt cards were usually (but not always?) printed up on the back.

The 'blank-back' anonymous card that you have is just that - an anonymous issue.

I have several of these in my Huddersfield Town cards collection, some pictures of which Alan has used on his blog.

MT ;)

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
Hi Alan

I have a few of these and mine are all anonymous issues i.e. Plain back. I seem to have 2 versions of the Brentford player, Kerr, one with initial and one without. I also look to have a jockey but although the card looks the same it could be a different series ?

Do the VCC cards have a printed back do you know ?

Penno55

I have a Kerr card, without the initial 'J', here http://brentfordfcmemorabilia.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/publisher-unknown-footballers-1920s/ These cards are a mystery.

They could be a card printed by one printer and purchased by VCC, Poppletons, Barratts, or who ever else, to then print their own backs on them. Only a card with VCC can be definitely theirs. These blank anonymous cards are, in my opinion, blanks for the use by who ever bought them.....
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
These blank anonymous cards are, in my opinion, blanks for the use by who ever bought them...
Which is exactly what I believe, Paul! :)

MT ;)

Alan

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
I'll add my two'penneth...

I'm of the opinion that the blank backed cards are also VCC issues.

I think it's possible that the blank cards used in a similar way to the Webcosa Football Bingo wrappers from the late 1950s, where you had to collect the different teams as listed on the wrappers. The trouble was, most wrappers didn't have the team name printed on them!!! I wonder if it's the same with the V.C.C. cards - the only cards you could use for exchanging for presents were those that were numbered and had V.C.C. printed on the back. As the cards said, "No other cards accepted unless printed with the name of V.C.C." This seems to imply that there were cards available without V.C.C. printed on them.

I know it's almost impossible to verify and the blank backed version is just another one of the many 'Anonymous' sets issued down the years.

Alan

Penno55

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 06:49:23 PM »
Thats one of reasons why I love our hobby so much. People are still debating who issued what 100 years on from when they were available.

Penno55

Penno55

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »
just checking thru some other albums and came across 2 cricket cards which have an all too similar liking to the VCC. Arethese known or not I wonder. I am always a little to busy to log with the Society. Hope the attachment thingy works ??

Penno55

Alan

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing those cards, I'm not a cricket man so they are not familiar to me.

They don't seem to be similar cards to cards issued by Barratt, Bunsen or VCC.

Alan

Alan

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 05:07:17 PM »
I've been sent six more photos of VCC cards and I've created a new update on my blog to show them...

http://cartophilic-info-exch.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/vcc-sportsmen-and-other-notabilities-7.html

Alan

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:20:11 PM »
Penno55,

They are c1921 Bunsen's which were issues anonymously as well as with printed details on the reverse.

There are supposedly 35 cards in the set with the printed details on the reverse, and while I haven't located a published record of the Anonymous issues, it would be reasonable to assume that 35 of these were also produced...

Funnily enough - I have four of these cards - including the two you scanned and I am aware of a couple of other Australian collectors that also have Rushby & Waddington among their few examples - so maybe these two cards are the more common ones from the 35 Anonymous Reverse issue (if that's how many there are)

I've also got #100 Jack Hobbs & #115 A.E.R. Gilligan

Cheers
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

Who's online

32 Guests, 0 Users